Thinking about getting a Silver Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snowsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2008
farmington, MN
So Im thinking of moving up to a Char-Broil Silver Smoker. I know there will be some basic mods I will need to do. The stack extenion, add a rack to the fire box and make a dammper/baffle to even the heat. Is there anythink esle I should know about this smoke??? I know there are alot of you that have this one so help me out and let me know what you think of yours. Or if you have any other ideas of what I should do please let me know. Thank you!!
< Snowsmoker >
cool.gif

I have a Chargriller Smoking Pro w/SFB that I did some mods to. I did that same as you mentioned plus I added a temperature gauge at grate level.

What are you moving up from?

Hey SnowSmoker, if you get the Silver Smoker, you will have matching S'. As in Snow Smoker's Silver Smoker. Go for it. Ive had one for about three years and had a grand time doing the mods. First thing was to raise the charcoal grate and add a charcoal basket. I used some 1/4" steel rod and some expanded metal.

Ends of 1/4" rods

Charcoal basket

Fire Box

Next add a baffle at fire box end. I had some 1/16" steel and bolted it to the angled lip in the chamber

Works pretty well at this point, but there's more.

Instead of lowering the stack to grate level, I welded a 4" x 36" pipe to the low point of the chamber and just blocked off the original hole.

Installed two thermometers at grate level in the door

And then I traded a metal fab guy 3 racks of ribs for 5 - 1/4" thick tuning plates, 5" x 16"

here's 1 plate

Here they are in place

I also use a steel bread pan as a water pan on the grates right by the fire box. This helps greatly to even out the hot spot by the fire box.

I added another set of wheels also. Here is the smoker in its entirety

The final addition, and I don't really know if it enhances performance or not, too much snow and cold of late, replaced the stock grates with this beauty.

And with some TBS

I hope this is enjoyable and helpful to and thanks for watching!

You couldn't ask for a better explanation than that! Thanks for the tutorial, Dick.
icon_smile.gif

WOW! that is one nice setup! I would like to move the smoke stack but have a hard time cutting up a new smoker, maybe after I use it a few times. I also like the tuning plates, I will have to try those.

Thanks. Here is the smoker doing what it does best. Baby Back Ribs.

As to the tuning plates. I started experimenting by cutting aluminum flashing to size, do a cook,then move things around try a different thing, till I saw that the plates would work. The aluminum does fine but the steel holds more heat, so the temps in the chamber are more stable.(Plus I'm a real stickler for doing things the way I think is right) Have fun and don't be afraid to cut any holes, it welds up fine!

One other thing, on the Silver Smoker the stack is in the back but on the top of the smoke chamber, I didn't like loosing grate space by bringing the stack down to grate level, hence it's on the end. On the one you have it's already there, so the baffle, charcoal basket and perhaps the plates should be fine.
Keep us posted.

Great looking mods Smoking Dick!!

The only question I have is the smoke stack is so low that won't most of the heat and smoke run across the bottom instead of moving up into the smoking chamber?

Thanks for the compliment. This thing works GREAT now!

Nope.The baffle is there to re-direct the intense heat from the fire box. The tuning plates are spaced apart from each other and are movable, so the heat and smoke can rise up between them and at their ends. They also are fabulous heat sinks to maintain an even-ish chamber temp. The stack at the bottom of the chamber still allows for plenty of exhaust. I wanted to avoid siphoning all of the heat off before it could cook the meat. Remember heat rises and cool air falls.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif
The stack is at the cooler end of the chamber and the exhaust temps at the top of the stack are still very hot when the chamber is at 235*. Next time I cook on this unit, I'll record the exhaust temp at the top of the stack just so I'll know. Here is that pic of the TBS again to show how the smoke rises nice and evenly. This is purely anecdotal, but because the stack is so low I think I burn less fuel than when stock because the draw is not as strong.

Cool deal, I have a SnP with a heat baffle and sand filled "heat sink" but I hate the chimney extention because it blocks out a bunch of cooking grate area. Maybe I could get my local exhaust shop to weld me up a stack like yours.

Maybe I could get my local exhaust shop to weld me up a stack like yours.[/quote]

That's what I did. Went to Lou's Exhaust. They had all sorts of big trucks up on lifts and a few waiting their turn but they did this for me on the spot. Change of pace I guess. Good luck with yours too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky