Thinking about getting a second smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
How many of you have more than one smoker?

Hubby and I were out for a long drive yesterday, and we got stuck behind a transport truck with a picture of a beautiful steak on the back, taunting us with all its juicy glory.

This turned into a conversation on how I really wanted to try smoking a steak, but didn’t feel like firing up my big 22.5 WSM for one piece of meat.

Then I got thinking about the little 14” WSM and how perfect it would be for short smokes and smaller pieces of meat.

I ran the idea past my husband and he said “What ever you want honey, as long as you’re happy.” (Give this man a gold medal!)

So, would getting a second smaller smoker be beneficial, or am I just dreaming?

I have a Weber 14" smokey joe grill... Perfect for grilling for 2... and about 6 other smokers..

71X0tRC2MsL._SX679_.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
I think a 22 inch performer is handy then you can add a rotisserie as well. I bought mine used then added the Cajun Bandit rotisserie setup all told I only spent the cost of a new Performer. I have a 22 WSM as well and think it pairs great with a kettle as the kettle is very versatile.

Reactions: lpbg
I have a masterbuilt propane, chargriller offset (turned into a RF smoker), 2- 22” Weber kettles, a 300 gallon multi fuel pig roaster, a charbroil 2 in 1 grill, 14” Smokey joe, and a small portable IR propane grill. Each have their own purpose.

Dave’s suggestion would be a great addition for what you want to do.

*Be Aware this can turn into one hell of a collection of outdoor cooking equipment quickly*

I’ve got several I use depending on what I am doing and timing needs. For smoking I have a large 270 cabinet smoker. For more grilling / smoking I use a Vision Kamado and lastly for really quick last minute grilling I have a small Traeger scout. They all get used :)

I think you would like a 14" WSM.I love mine and they will burn 12+ Hrs @ 265-275* on ~ 5 Lbs of charcoal,little fuel misers.Though Ray has an almost indisputable point on the 22" kettle.They are mandatory in my opinion.
Here's my Weber kit,takes care of most tasks at hand.
upload_2019-7-14_14-25-59.png

I agree with Rays comment. My 22" and 26" get used a whole lot more then the WSM. Especially since it's only the wife and I now.

Chris

Thanks guys!

I’ll have to do some more research on the kettle. I briefly looked at it a while ago, but dismissed the idea because I didn’t like the idea of only being able to use half of the cooking area. (Hot coals on one side, no coals on the other)

I’m sure there are many different ways to use a kettle, but this was pretty much the only set up I saw and immediately said “no” to it.

If you want to smoke a steak, the kettle is perfect for that. You can use briquettes or lump and add chips or chunks for extra smoke flavor. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time doing indirect heat on a steak as they are a cut that shine on hot and fast. I use my kettle for steaks because the gas grill will never make one taste as good. I just use charcoal and they are much better than the gasser.

If you want to smoke a steak, the kettle is perfect for that. You can use briquettes or lump and add chips or chunks for extra smoke flavor. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time doing indirect heat on a steak as they are a cut that shine on hot and fast. I use my kettle for steaks because the gas grill will never make one taste as good. I just use charcoal and they are much better than the gasser.

Yup, that's what I do with my little Joe. Steaks come out great. Like this one here. Just tossed in a few Hickory chips here and there during the cook.

steak.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
I just added a pellet smoker with a slide over the fire pot, and it does a remarkable job on reverse seared steaks. The issue you would have with that is it's a waste of time and fuel for just one steak.
My kettle does a great job on steaks, and I have a pizza oven conversion for it too.
Fun when you entertain to be able to let everyone make their own pizza. After the stone comes up to temperature, you can bake a pizza every 5 minutes. Great for bread sticks and quesadillas, too.
I think like the majority here, a kettle might do the job for you.

I’m really rethinking my original opinion on the kettle.

The new 2019 version has some nice upgrades, including a heat deflector so you no longer need to have a hot zone and a indirect heat zone.

It also has a hinged lid, so no need to mod it afterwards. (I still need to insulate the hinge on my WSM)

EDIT: the new design might be only on the European models right now. :(

Last edited:
I’m really rethinking my original opinion on the kettle.

The new 2019 version has some nice upgrades, including a heat deflector so you no longer need to have a hot zone and a indirect heat zone.

It also has a hinged lid, so no need to mod it afterwards. (I still need to insulate the hinge on my WSM)

EDIT: the new design might be only on the European models right now. :(
Upgrades sound awesome. Will have to look it up after dinner.

I got my 1990's vintage 22" Weber kettle off the curb (meaning it was a give away) and said why didn't I get one before.
I grill and smoke on it all the time.
I got a new grate at my local box store and cut it half. More than enough grilling area for wife and me. I smoke by offset. Convenient to have the open open to control the coals I use pellets and chips with the charcoal.

Nice thing with charcoal only is you are smoking without adding XXX wood.

I have used my Smokeinsence (old unit, looks like a large tea ball) as well as my A-maz-n tube with pellets in my gas grill ( no heat) to cold smoke steaks for an hour or two (ambient temp considerations) and then vacuum packed them and send to the freezer. you can cook them in a fry pan or a toaster oven and they will taste like they were grilled on your favorite smoker or grill.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky