Thickness for my new smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pplozano

Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
Hello everybody! I'm building a reverse flow smoker, at first I was going to use a 400 gal tank, then I decided to build it it out of 12ga steel. I've been reading about the thickness a good smoker should have and I'm having second thoughts about the 12 ga. Is it thick enough for a smoker that size ? Will it bend in a couple of years? I have a catering business and I'll be moving it constantly. Should I use a thicker material?

Depending on where your at and the health department you might want to ck with them and find out any restrictions before you build

Depending on where your at and the health department you might want to ck with them and find out any restrictions before you build
I've had two reverse flow smoker's and loved them both but the first one just wasn't big enough. The first was a 16" x 30" 1/4" thick steel. The second I just recently bought and is 20" x 36" 3/8" steel double rack. Even tho the weather is hot here in Oklahoma I can tell the difference between the two in the amount of wood usage and temp recovery if the cook chamber is opened. I think for a reverse flow you'll be better off using the thicker material.

I've had two reverse flow smoker's and loved them both but the first one just wasn't big enough. The first was a 16" x 30" 1/4" thick steel. The second I just recently bought and is 20" x 36" 3/8" steel double rack. Even tho the weather is hot here in Oklahoma I can tell the difference between the two in the amount of wood usage and temp recovery if the cook chamber is opened. I think for a reverse flow you'll be better off using the thicker material.

Just to clarify. Is the outside structure all 3/8"???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky