Thick NY Strips Over Wood First Try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice char on those steaks Mike, you nailed it! RAY
Thanks Ray, for a first time I'm very happy. I was chomping at the bit all week waiting to do this and driving the Mrs. crazy all week, lol. The char was good, going for slightly less next time. Appreciate it my friend.

The Walmart's here on LI don't really carry that much food, just chips and the like. I did just score 10lbs of shaved gyro meat from restaurant depot today! Their beef scares me as it is so huge and I have been surprised a couple of times when I come home with 40lbs of something (think whole rib eye) and have to break it down.

The Walmart's here on LI don't really carry that much food, just chips and the like. I did just score 10lbs of shaved gyro meat from restaurant depot today! Their beef scares me as it is so huge and I have been surprised a couple of times when I come home with 40lbs of something (think whole rib eye) and have to break it down.
Yep, Restaurant Depot here too. I go once a month mainly for Lobster Tails and the like. I'm hesitant on their large Beef offerings to because I have very limited knife skills, and don't want to ruin anything. Plus little to no patience to learn new things right now, lol.

Reactions: clifish
What a steak!! For me, too, strip loin is the absolute best steak. And nothing beats cooking steak over a wood fire.
Gary
Thanks Gary, totally agree. I'm like a kid in a candy steak store, lol.

Yep, Restaurant Depot here too. I go once a month mainly for Lobster Tails and the like. I'm hesitant on their large Beef offerings to because I have very limited knife skills, and don't want to ruin anything. Plus little to no patience to learn new things right now, lol.
I once bought an entire rib eye and spent well over 4 hours breaking it down...lol Stupid me thought I was just going to slice it into nice thick steaks and be done:emoji_laughing:

The 1 time I tried something like that I bought a whole NY Striploin. This was more than 10 years ago when I knew nothing, now I know next to nothing, lol. I don't have real good knives either, prob should have mentioned that. I cut it into steaks, but they were sloppy at best and I didn't know certain things like remove the tail part, etc. Very uneven too. Still ate them and taste was ok, just ugly.

Reactions: clifish
Absolutely gorgeous steaks. Like you, I've gotten to where I just love a good char on them and you nailed it. Very well done!!

The tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker rub is that the dirt rub? I made up some of that but have not used it yet your looks more red?

This is a different rub than the dirt rub. It's one I put together a few years ago for a friendly backyard beef rib cook-off. I've posted it a couple times but it's always buried in a thread someplace. Here ya go:

3 T Montreal steak seasoning ground in a spice grinder
2 t Garlic powder
2 t Chili powder
1 ½ t Smoked Spanish paprika
1 t Black pepper
½ t Guajaillo pepper
1 t Ancho pepper
½ t Arbol pepper
¾ t Cayenne
1 ½ t Sugar
1 t salt
1 t Onion powder
1 ½ t Beef bouillon

I kinda cheat starting with the Montreal but it has a good flavor to start so no reason to spend hours trying to replicate something that's right in front of you. Now, this recipe does not make very much. As always, I just start with small amounts and adjust as I go till I get the flavor I want. Using small amounts means less waste it I create a disaster. You'll want to make at least 4x as much.

Robert posted it back in October 2021.

That was a re-post but I'm impressed and honored that you remembered the date :emoji_laughing: Also very happy to hear that you like the rub. It has a lot of depth and flavor to it.

Robert

Love the NY strip and you nailed it Mike ! To perfection !
I've seen a couple of Prime cuts lately at WM but nothing here at home.

Keith

Reactions: MJB05615
Absolutely gorgeous steaks. Like you, I've gotten to where I just love a good char on them and you nailed it. Very well done!!
Thanks Robert. I won't be able to enjoy Steak any other way now, I'm ruined, lol. You're Beef Rub has also changed it all for me, love the medium spice and the flavor after cooking. I leave it on the Steaks a good 6 + hours before cooking. I was worried the first time about too spicy. But it's just right for me. Appreciate your kind words my friend.

Love the NY strip and you nailed it Mike ! To perfection !
I've seen a couple of Prime cuts lately at WM but nothing here at home.

Keith
Thanks Keith, appreciate your nice comments. It's hit and miss at WM. We go about 1-2 times a month, if they have Ribeyes or Strips that are the Thick cuts, I grab 2 or more. This covers me til the next time. We only have Steak once a week or every other week. And I usually keep 2 in the freezer from Wildfork just as a backup. Both are priced same or less than Kroger or Sam's. WM usually has Angus when in stock.

Reactions: 912smoker
Those steaks look fantastic Mike. You couldn't have picked two better members for advice and guidance.

Point for sure
Chris

Late to respond on this one! Nothing about that is less than perfect! What an incredible job!

Those steaks look fantastic Mike. You couldn't have picked two better members for advice and guidance.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I agree wholeheartedly.

I’m pretty sure those steaks would win a beauty contest. They look crazy delicious. Nice work!
Thanks Sven. They might come in 3rd, I don't know about winning, lol. They were delicious for sure. This weekend I'm doing a thick Ribeye with Oak chunks. Never used Oak before, I've been told that it's one of the best flavors for beef.

So good.
Strip loin is my favorite cut of beef. Almost the flavor of a ribeye. I picked up my last package of prime strip for 1/2 price of a ribeye in choice.
Never got to WildFork during my snowbird winter. Planning it for next trip.

Reactions: MJB05615
So good.
Strip loin is my favorite cut of beef. Almost the flavor of a ribeye. I picked up my last package of prime strip for 1/2 price of a ribeye in choice.
Never got to WildFork during my snowbird winter. Planning it for next trip.
Thanks FA. Mine too. Leaner than a Ribeye, and more dense. Wildfork has some good stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky