Bragging dad….

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
A little background, my dad and his friends got together in the early ‘80s and leased roughly 400 acres to deer hunt. 40 years later we are still hunting it. A lot of deer have come off the property. The last few years the turkey population has exploded. Mainly ‘cause we keep the coyote thinned out.
My oldest son,Jeremy, has a friend ,Tyler, that he works with that is a hardcore turkey hunter. Jeremy had never Turkey hunted. They decided that they would try out The Farm to teach Jeremy to call. First day of the season they were in the woods.
AB01DBCA-5E32-4FD7-9922-91A927DD34EC.jpeg
this is the result. On the left my nephew, Colby, Jeremy, and Tyler. Colby was hunting a different patch of woods and Jeremy and Tyler were hunting together.
Fast forward to this morning. Jeremy wanted to try calling on his own. Bryce, my youngest son wanted to try it out. So into the woods they went. 4FFEBAB2-1C89-451C-90E1-DA9A4A45B8F9.jpeg
Jeremy called up six and Bryce is bringing this one home. Jeremy is now hooked on turkey hunting. And I’m a very proud Pops. Love that my boys being 17 years apart can have this time together.My Crohn’s disease limits me on being out in the woods so Bryce has become my hunter gather for wild game.
and I am now looking for suggestions on how best to cook wild Turkey breast.
Sorry for the long post. But had to brag.

Jim

Congrats, breast slice across the grain about 3/8" and flour and fry like chicken. have made baked and smoked and like fried the best, use the legs and wings for soup think long braising time or pressure cook to tenderize , I like a lot of lemon pepper lol

Very cool! I've always wanted to try hunting turkeys, but they are a bit of a drive from where I live.
So total newbie question: Are you required to use shotguns, or can they be hunted with something like a .22 rifle? Asking, because I remember picking out birdshot from the ducks my dad used to get.

Reactions: JLeonard
Very nice. Deer hunting is a special bond with my son.

Sucks about the Crohn's

Very cool! I've always wanted to try hunting turkeys, but they are a bit of a drive from where I live.
So total newbie question: Are you required to use shotguns, or can they be hunted with something like a .22 rifle? Asking, because I remember picking out birdshot from the ducks my dad used to get.
Only state where it is legal to shoot a turkey with a rifle is Texas during the fall...
Another way to avoid the pellets is to use bow and arrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky