ThermoPro TP20S

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tukee_smoker

Original poster
Nov 25, 2022
I had to replace my RediCheck ( after 10 years ) and picked up the ThermoPro T20S. I really like it but discovered the probes are really long and had a hard time placing them in the turkey -

You can see in the image below the new ThermoPro probes are much longer -

Questions are:
1. Do they make shorter ones.
2. Can I use the RediCheck probes instead?

1669429908149.png

Thanks

Probably no on the inter change.
Give it a try and see if the temps agree with real life.
I've tried with a few different brands and a solid no.

The actual temperature sensing area is only the narrow tip plus a little more.
The thermo pro style tip is actually a faster read and often more accurate.

Reactions: negolien
Probably no on the inter change.
Give it a try and see if the temps agree with real life.
I've tried with a few different brands and a solid no.

The actual temperature sensing area is only the narrow tip plus a little more.
The thermo pro style tip is actually a faster read and often more accurate.

Yea I tried it - no dice. When I cooked the turkey I had to shove it in so far it was coming out into the cavity so I never got a good read. Turkey turned out fine but it was a pain having to open the lid and adjust the probe and put it back in and lose heat etc etc.

I wonder if I can put it in some vice grips and just 90 degree bend it a bit... hmmm...

If you want to try bending it go to a brake shop. They have brake line bending tools that will do a better job than vice grips.

Or think in reverse.
Push the probe in from the cavity side

I believe that's an upgrade of sorts . The other ones didn't last very long , and weren't accurate . Mines from 2017 . Lifetime probes , and I think that's the one they send now .
I agree that they can be a pain to use due to the length . For whole birds I go parallel to the breast bone from the thin end of the breast .

Mine is the older one . Has two meat probes , no ambient probe .
My TP-08 has one of each . Rock solid therm . I don't use my 20 anymore . Guess I should have them send m some probes though .

nothing says you have to jam the entire probe into your meat LOL. As someone posted earlier in the thread the temp part is basically the tip

Yea but in order to close the lid I had to. The Turkey occupied a bit of space.
Image one shows it sticking up so high I couldn't shut the lid.

1669494712217.png

So I had to shove it into the bird and it came out into the cavity giving useless readings.

1669494774851.png

Slide it in on the right or left side of the breast wishbone parallel to the ground going towards the legs to the center mass of the breast (middle) since tapered tip is the sensing part. When alarm goes off remove and push the instant read therm through the same hole as far as possible and slowly remove to find the lowest temp. When doing breast meat only pull it when the lowest temp is over 150 per the FSIS to hold for 5 min but carries over. Needs to hold 1 min at 155 and carries over more , then 3 seconds at 165 and way carries over into the 170s way over cooked. Dark meat may need to go to 170+ to get tender. I remove the wishbone and disconnect breast from the carcass before cooking and place breast back into position, looking collapsed. Wings and legs are done before the carcass and thighs. Follow the 2005 poultry 7 log FSIS table that starts at 136 for 86 minutes and ends at 165 for 3 seconds and all the temps in between with there assigned duration. Yes we are way over cooking our food when it's poultry breast meat as we wait for joints to cook in dark meat. . Pasteurizing is a temp and duration not just a temp. Breast meat is opaque, clear juices and super tender below 150 for Sous vide users but for roasting 150 IT for breast and a 5 min hold is fantastic. If I'm going to spatchcock vs remove the breast and put back in place till 150+, I'll just remove the breast to keep the normal vertical shape of the turkey etc and save space., alarm goes off, out comes the breast to rest and back in oven till dark meat probes tender.

Slide it in on the right or left side of the breast wishbone parallel to the ground going towards the legs to the center mass of the breast (middle) since tapered tip is the sensing part. When alarm goes off remove and push the instant read therm through the same hole as far as possible and slowly remove to find the lowest temp. When doing breast meat only pull it when the lowest temp is over 150 per the FSIS to hold for 5 min but carries over. Needs to hold 1 min at 155 and carries over more , then 3 seconds at 165 and way carries over into the 170s way over cooked. Dark meat may need to go to 170+ to get tender. I remove the wishbone and disconnect breast from the carcass before cooking and place breast back into position, looking collapsed. Wings and legs are done before the carcass and thighs. Follow the 2005 poultry 7 log FSIS table that starts at 136 for 86 minutes and ends at 165 for 3 seconds and all the temps in between with there assigned duration. Yes we are way over cooking our food when it's poultry breast meat as we wait for joints to cook in dark meat. . Pasteurizing is a temp and duration not just a temp. Breast meat is opaque, clear juices and super tender below 150 for Sous vide users but for roasting 150 IT for breast and a 5 min hold is fantastic. If I'm going to spatchcock vs remove the breast and put back in place till 150+, I'll just remove the breast to keep the normal vertical shape of the turkey etc and save space., alarm goes off, out comes the breast to rest and back in oven till dark meat probes tender.

Got it. This is the 5th year of roasting on the grill - it's the only way to cook a turkey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky