ThermoPro TP20 any good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huskykma

Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Looking for a new dual probe wireless meat thermometer. I was looking at the ThermoPro TP20 on Amazon and it appears to have great reviews. Does anyone on here have one and can you provide any feedback?

Hello HuskyKMA,

I am Dillon from ThermoPro, and I can answer any questions you have about our TP20! For starters, it is our newest model with a simplified user interface, a backlight and preset meat cooking temperatures for easy cooks. The TP20 also comes with dual probes as you stated. These can read both meat or the ambient temperature of a grill, oven or smoker as it comes with a clip for easy attachment!

We are going to be offering any forum member a 20% discount code for our Amazon stores in the US and Canada.

US Store: http://amzn.to/2B30ZqN
US Coupon Code: IF5RBOKA
Canada Store: http://amzn.to/2zUSMXN
Canada Coupon Code: OSPI6YA6

If you have anymore questions, I would be happy to answer them!

Dillon

ThermoPro

Last edited:
I got a TP20 for Christmas, haven't used it yet though.

Dillon,

My ThermoPro TP20 only displays HHH on both the receiver and transmitter. I cannot find this addressed anywhere in the manual. What am I doing wrong or is there something wrong with the unit?

Dillon,

My ThermoPro TP20 only displays HHH on both the receiver and transmitter. I cannot find this addressed anywhere in the manual. What am I doing wrong or is there something wrong with the unit?
You may want to PM him on Monday:  it's Saturday, he works for TP, deserves a weekend just like the rest of us, and likely not on call.  I know someone got pi$$y with him in a previous thread because there was a question posed well after business hours one night and started in on him before 8AM the next day since he hadn't answered.  You may also want to pull the batteries, unplug the probe, leave everything apart for about 10 minutes, and begin anew.  Often will clear any issues you may have:  make sure that the probes are firmly and fully inserted, and everything is properly paired.  HHH is often the code for the heat being too high for the unit to read, so keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:
Dillon,

Means the cable is not pressed all the way in. Push it till you feel the click.

Means the cable is not pressed all the way in. Push it till you feel the click.
Yes "HHH" or "LLL" usually means a probe fault. The probe is either not plugged into the unit properly or, in older used probes, water has got into the joint between the probe and the wire.

@spayne,

As stated by some of the other members, most likely the probes are not in all the way! Push as hard as you can, should pop in nicely. I have sent you a follow up PM as well.

Thanks,

Dillon

So far mine has been working great. Although I have been debating if it runs a 3 to 4 degrees hot. Still training to verify.

I had the "LLL" display in my Maverick and the instructions said that it will be displayed when the temperature is out of range. It turns out that the meat was straight out of the fridge and the center was still partially frozen. The temperature was below the minimum that the Maverick was able to display. I've also had the "HHH" display when the probe cable wasn't plugged in all the way. Because of the seal around the connector on the Maverick, this is easy to do.

The ThermoPro, based on the several recent posts I've read here in this forum, appears to share quite a few parts and design elements with the Maverick (I think the probes and basic measurement electronics may be identical), so I expect that this applies to it as well.

Hello HuskyKMA,

I am Dillon from ThermoPro, and I can answer any questions you have about our TP20! For starters, it is our newest model with a simplified user interface, a backlight and preset meat cooking temperatures for easy cooks. The TP20 also comes with dual probes as you stated. These can read both meat or the ambient temperature of a grill, oven or smoker as it comes with a clip for easy attachment!

Thank you for the interest in our product, we would like to offer forum users a 20% discount from our website off any ThermoPro product!

If you have anymore questions, I would be happy to answer them!

Dillon

ThermoPro 

Hi Dillon, is this offer valid in the UK too? I was weighing up the 09 but this looks like an improvement. Is the cable covered by the warranty too or just the probes. I've had a number of cheaper probes die as the cable gets worn.

Hi Dillon, is this offer valid in the UK too? I was weighing up the 09 but this looks like an improvement. Is the cable covered by the warranty too or just the probes. I've had a number of cheaper probes die as the cable gets worn.

Sorry for the late reply! I can see about arranging something for you in the UK, just drop me a PM if you don't mind!

Cable and probe are covered.

Sorry for the late reply! I can see about arranging something for you in the UK, just drop me a PM if you don't mind!

Cable and probe are covered.

Excellent news!

I actually bought one already although thank you very much for the offer. As i saw you couldn't buy direct on the website i figured I'd make a choice between the tp20 or the maverick on Amazon and went with the tp20 because of the warranty.

I did an ice bath last night and there was a 3c difference between the two probes, though. One was absolutely spot on according to my thermapen but the other was 3c higher.

Likely to be a probe issue?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky