Thermometer probe storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mattmilw

Original poster
Aug 2, 2022
Over the years I've upgraded my wireless thermometers as technology has improved. One thing that has irritated me throughout has been the way the probes tangle and kink. I've not found a way to store them so they're not a tangled mess the next time I go to grab one. I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to manage the storage of their probes that they like. Thanks!

Not sure this is what you mean (maybe you have Meater-style probes) but I have several wired probes that plug into transmitters that I then monitor remotely. I store each one in a zip lock bag. I can write on the bag, they don't tangle, and they all store like file folders.
I also have several Ikea probes that plug into "dumb" readouts but sit outside the cooker. For those, both probe and readout fits nicely in a ziplock.

Curious to hear what else people are doing.

My method is probably the strangest:
I keep mine in my Corner Gun Cabinet, in my Living Room.
I put the units (transmitters & receivers) on the barrel rest, and slide the probes into the barrel ends of a couple of old Double Barrel Shotguns I have in there. Then the cable just hangs straight down along the outside of the barrels, nice & neat.

Bear

I just use a plastic bag for each probe. I use wooden clothes pins to secure probe to grate. The pins are great for keeping wires out of harms way. Then I roll up the probe and clip it to secure. I always have a ziploc bag in the case to protect transmitter from rain

RG

Reactions: SherryT
According to an email I received this morning, the thermoworks spools I linked to above are on sale! I have them for both my BBQ Guru progress and my Thermoworks Signals probes and they work well
Thanks for the 411. Just ordered a few, excellent idea and products! I don't have any shotguns available or I would have used Bearcarver Bearcarver 's method.

Maybe wrap them around an empty fishing line spool then hang on a pegboard. That's what I do for my surf fishing rigs.
That was my thoughts too.
My ThermoPro came with 2 spools and I use a bread tie for the one I leave in the storage compartment on the 1050.

Keith

Love the spools from thermoworks.

IMG_5338.JPG

Reactions: Bearcarver
My method is probably the strangest:
I keep mine in my Corner Gun Cabinet, in my Living Room.
I put the units (transmitters & receivers) on the barrel rest, and slide the probes into the barrel ends of a couple of old Double Barrel Shotguns I have in there. Then the cable just hangs straight down along the outside of the barrels, nice & neat.

Bear
Doesn't sound a bit strange to me!

How are you feeling my friend?

John

And the bacon King ones look like they'd be pretty easy to print with a 3d printer.
Winterrider, buy me a 3d printer and I'll make you 14. :emoji_wink:

You guys are nuts!!!
For less than $5 you can buy a plastic storage container and some wooden cloth line clips at the $0.99 store. Coil the leads around your hand and clip the lead to the probe, then toss them into a plastic container.
1664772572655.png

It's not rocket surgery!!!

I got one to try it out. Works great, $7 plus shipping great is up to you. If you saw the organization in my tool box, the organizing devices I've bought from Snap On you'd know my answer. BTW, my Snap On tool box is this color.
PXL_20230208_230955596.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky