Therm with just the poking probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gortiz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Virginia
I can only find therms at my local stores that have the probe for sticking into meat. If i were to hang this probe through one the damper vents located on the hood my smoker, would I get an accurate read? Whould this even work! Any help appreciated, doing three BB racks today!

thanks! :D

I wouldn't do that...from what I read, most thermometers designed for checking meat temps don't last long measuring smoke temp..Not sure why..just what I've read.
As far as I know, the Maverick ET-73 is the only one with a probe designed to take smoker temps...I don't have one as of yet, but I'm going from what I've read online.

I use my pyrex digital probe to monitor the cooking temp at the rack in my smoker all the time it works quite well but it will shorten the life of the probe but I don't know by how much.

I have 4 digital therms (all AccuTemps, $5 at BigLots) that I've had for two years now. The only problem I've had with them is the leads on the probes getting smashed by heavy or tight fitting cooker doors. I had to buy 2 replacement probes last fall, the ones I pitched would still give accurate readings if you fiddled with the bruised section of the wire, the probes themselves were fine after many hours of monitoring pit temps.

Scott, I bought a couple of those same thermometers from Big Lots:

acu-rite.jpg

One of my leads acts up occasionally and if I move the wire slightly where it connects to the probe it works fine afterwards. A minor issue when compared to the price. :)

markeli my smokers have a high-temperature silicone seal around the door which may be similar to yours. I still prefer to run the probe leads through the exhaust vent to keep them out of my way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky