The Weber 28” griddle arrived!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
My lovely bride purchased a 28” Weber griddle for me for my birthday. I’m a lucky man! I thought I would share the assembly, seasoning, and initial cook.
9C748E4A-62C4-4570-B99A-0BBE5C7B9A06.jpeg

It arrived without damage and was packaged very nicely. The assembly instructions were clear picture based step by steps.
B61C9F53-F87A-4D41-8C31-A453E5BEEC0D.jpeg

BE38CE68-D16D-40A4-83C6-4DEB02C3FE17.jpeg

C9D6F0D8-0CA4-4A21-8B44-B2905060831E.jpeg

42E266FB-B696-429F-BAE3-BD8E7DC2802D.jpeg

Once assembled, there were clear basic instructions on seasoning the flat top. The instructions were generic enough to let you choose the oil of your liking and since there are several threads about those details…I will skip that part. It was a three step process of coat, heat, burn off, cool, and repeat.
C0DEB624-7861-4609-8EA2-2BCC66A1F8E0.jpeg

Temperatures during this process measured in the 500s F.

3E82FF03-8567-46CB-AE80-33EE7E2E9398.jpeg

The weather didn’t cooperate and temperatures were in the 30s with wind, so I tucked it in for the first cook. Please don’t worry, I normally don’t operate anything this close to the house.
Anyway, I had to do bacon as the first thing my flat top ever cooked!
780F24D0-DB71-4CE7-8025-80FC1B8AD357.jpeg

Then I grilled up some veggies, and cooked some eggs and pancakes.

B7CD87E7-1715-4E92-BE2C-2EA4C8DA9E5B.jpeg

I am VERY happy with the Weber flat top and look forward to cooking with it! I will update as I get more experience with it.

Attachments

• BB20B8A2-C63B-45D1-BC2B-FD849C987C00.jpeg
    BB20B8A2-C63B-45D1-BC2B-FD849C987C00.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 24
Congrats and the first cook looks awesome

Reactions: chp
Thanks for the look, I think you are the first to review the weber. It looks really nice! Keep posting up more cooks.

Thanks for the look, I think you are the first to review the weber. It looks really nice! Keep posting up more cooks.
I certainly looked at the other flat tops that are out there. It was a bit of a risk to buy such a new product, but the specs, the warranty, being a ‘made in the USA’ product, and of course the Weber reputation, made it an easy call.

I think it looks really good, did it come with the lid too? The only thing I would have to try out is having the grease drain where it is. Also how smooth is the cooking surface? My Camp chef I had was a little rougher than I expected, it didn’t really affect cooking but kinda made cleanup a little harder.

Reactions: BBQBeth
I certainly looked at the other flat tops that are out there. It was a bit of a risk to buy such a new product, but the specs, the warranty, being a ‘made in the USA’ product, and of course the Weber reputation, made it an easy call.
Surprised it is made in the USA as most other Weber products are not anymore. Looking at their site it has outsourced content but at least they are based here.

I think it looks really looks good, did it come with the lid too? The only thing I would have to try out is having the grease drain where it is. Also how smooth is the cooking surface? My Camp chef I had was a little rougher than I expected, it didn’t really affect cooking but kinda made cleanup a little harder.
I actually like where the grease trap is, my Camp Chef 28" with the grease trough and trap in the front sucks. My Blackstone 36" with the grease trap in the back is not bad. Not sure what the cost of the Weber is but currently the Blackstone 36" with hard cover at Wally World is currently $297

Reactions: BBQBeth
That front grease trap on the CC was one of the bigger reasons I sold it. I thought I’d like it and I didn’t. I hated the whole little 3/4” lol that ran into the drain, that was a real pain to clean. I’m planning on picking up one of the blackstone with the cover from Walmart you mentioned.

Reactions: clifish
I think it looks really good, did it come with the lid too? The only thing I would have to try out is having the grease drain where it is. Also how smooth is the cooking surface? My Camp chef I had was a little rougher than I expected, it didn’t really affect cooking but kinda made cleanup a little harder.
The finish on the cooking surface was nice and smooth. It is shipped with the flat top oil coated, so the first step is to wash off the coating with soap and water. I didn’t notice any rough portions.
482983A1-0C25-40AB-A325-DBD45F350FA6.jpeg

The front corner location for the drain should be easy for cleanup. It did come with the lid, and it is similar to other Weber products in the way the lid stores.

Last edited:
That front grease trap on the CC was one of the bigger reasons I sold it. I thought I’d like it and I didn’t. I hated the whole little 3/4” lol that ran into the drain, that was a real pain to clean. I’m planning on picking up one of the blackstone with the cover from Walmart you mentioned.
yeah it also leaks and stains my bricks...to old to sell, so waiting for it too rust out...lol

• Haha
Reactions: Flatrate
Nice rig and nice review! If Weber would’ve come to the market sooner or if I didn’t already have a blackstone I would probably try the Weber. No complaints with the blackstone after 3 years regarding performance, but fit and finish is a little sloppy.

Nice gift. Happy Birthday and kudos to your girlfriend.
I like the lid hanging on the backside as a grease shield and wind blocker.
I'm debating fabricating either a shield / cover or full hood for my Blackstone.

Happy Birthday! And I like how the grease trap has the aluminum liner. Will make clean up a heck of a lot easier.
Great looking first cook also.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky