The Three Little Pigs (help!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I’ve been wanting to use the ham injection method of daveomak daveomak for way too long. Today I divided a huge Costco pork loin into thirds so the process would be more manageable.

I was meticulous with my measurements and ingredients adding them in order but for some reason I wasn’t getting them to dissolve 100%. There were a couple grains left on the bottom. So, I added a couple more tablespoons of vegetable broth. That seemed to do the trick. I made a custom mix for each of the 3 portions. The same thing happened every time.

After they went into the garage fridge I sat down and looked thru Dave’s formula one last time. Then I found the problem. I used low sodium veggie broth and not the no sodium broth. Ugh.

So I’m calling on the collective wisdom of the Jedi council of meat. Once again I screwed up and need your guidance. My first thought was to shorten the 5 day cure to a 3 or 4 day cure. I’m hoping to salvage these beauties as I need some good lean sandwich meat for an upcoming Yosemite adventure.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi.
You’re my only hope.

B350B0C3-5CAB-46DD-BBF5-BC34B829B015.jpeg

Reactions: bigfurmn
on a lot of the brines I do there is some residue left in the bottom of the mixing bucket.
you can only saturate so much into water or other liquids
I do the injections and then dump the rest into the brine bucket on top of the hams
currently there is a whole pig in brining buckets getting ready to smoke next week [except the grind meat]
your pork looks great and that's how we make Canadian Bacon

Mike

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I use Dave's injection a lot . I know it is , or was talked about the short cure time . I always go around 10 days myself . Sometimes longer . I inject really well and what ever leeches out goes in the bags .

Anyway . Are you worried about them being to salty ?
Personally I think you're fine , but I would cure longer .
I always use the no salt , but I did do a butt that was already injected from the store . No reductions on my injection , and it was fine .

I use Dave's injection a lot . I know it is , or was talked about the short cure time . I always go around 10 days myself . Sometimes longer . I inject really well and what ever leeches out goes in the bags .

Anyway . Are you worried about them being to salty ?
Personally I think you're fine , but I would cure longer .
I always use the no salt , but I did do a butt that was already injected from the store . No reductions on my injection , and it was fine .
I am concerned about the salt but now I’m less concerned. Thanks for the advice. These things are only a couple inches thick so how much longer do you think? A ham is much thicker. Thanks.

Sven , I've adapted to 14 days curing time . No matter if it's Tender quick , Pop's brine , dry cure with cure one or Dave's injection . That's just how I do it . I think with the injection it adds to the flavor and the texture .
I just pulled a 3 1/2 pound pork loin that was injected and soaked for 14 days with Pop's brine .
Actually just trimmed out a coppa muscle yesterday after seeing your other thread and talking with Ray . All seasoned up and vac'd .

You could do what you were planning . I think I would go 7 to 10 days , but that's just how I do it .

Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky