The Phantom Buck of Haycock Mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
I posted this 6 years ago, but I can't find it, so I'm posting it again, so I can put it in my Step by Step Index:

The Phantom Buck of Haycock Mountain

Some of You Hunters should enjoy this.
I got a good one for you if this works:

When I was in 5th Grade, I wrote a story for school. We were supposed to make up a “Fiction” story, and write it. Then we had to read it to the class.
I made up a story about going hunting with my Dad on Haycock Mountain. The story was only about one short paragraph long, because 5th graders just don’t like to write a lot.

Then a few years later my Mother took the old story & stretched it out a bit into a real “Short Story”, and sent it to “The Pennsylvania Game News”, a monthly publication dedicated to anything having to do with hunting in PA. They published her story “The Phantom Buck of Haycock Mountain” in the December Issue of the Pennsylvania Game News, in 1964. Now in “December, 2014”, the Game News published a “Throw-Back” issue for their 50th Anniversary. It includes my Mother's & my Story on page 26 and 28.

Mom only made one mistake. In the story where she said my Dad used a 30-30-----It should have said he used a 30-40 Krag.

The story is a quick read, as it is only 2 short pages long:

Follow my instructions below & see if you’re able to read the story:

This is the PA Game News from Dec. 2014——Doing a Throw-Back Issue from Dec. 1964.

Click on the link below. Then at the top, click on “Next Page” until (2 clicks) you get to the Index Page.
Then on the index choose page #26—Phantom Buck of Haycock Mountain, by Mary A. Horne

Here’s The Link:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pgc/...2/index.php#/0

Thanks, and let me know how you like it.

Bear

Good story.

Something similar happened to me when I was a kid. (back in the '60's). I went deer hunting one season with my Dad in the Southern Sierras.
Steep pine forest.
Dad had an old Springfield 30.06 bolt.
We were sitting on a log taking a break from the climb, back to the hillside, rifle between us.
A deer jumped right over us ! Kid you Not !
My Dad picked up the gun and shot, not even aiming, and the deer took off.
It was starting to get late but we found a blood trail and followed it as it was getting dark.
Found the Buck !
Had to string it up but I remember stumbling back to camp in the dark holding onto the heart.
I was around 10.
True story.

That's awesome bear! Reminds me of the first time my wife made homemade biscuits...could've used them to play hockey with.

Ryan

Great story! I'll have to read it to my son. Its awesome it was published not only once but twice! Thanks for sharing this I really enjoyed readung it.

Reactions: Will Squared
Good story.

Something similar happened to me when I was a kid. (back in the '60's). I went deer hunting one season with my Dad in the Southern Sierras.
Steep pine forest.
Dad had an old Springfield 30.06 bolt.
We were sitting on a log taking a break from the climb, back to the hillside, rifle between us.
A deer jumped right over us ! Kid you Not !
My Dad picked up the gun and shot, not even aiming, and the deer took off.
It was starting to get late but we found a blood trail and followed it as it was getting dark.
Found the Buck !
Had to string it up but I remember stumbling back to camp in the dark holding onto the heart.
I was around 10.
True story.

Thank You Wil.

Bear

I read it all and loved it Bear, talk about telling whoppers! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Yup---A Whopper for sure.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Will Squared
Great Story, Thanks for re-posting

Gary

Good story Bear. I remember writing, and reading, one of those grade school assignments. The subject was mom's cooking and it was quite a comedy hit when I read it. Not so funny later when Mom read it.

Great story! I'll have to read it to my son. Its awesome it was published not only once but twice! Thanks for sharing this I really enjoyed readung it.

Thank You Travis!!
Appreciate that.

Bear

That was a fun read, and it dripped with a 10 year-old's imagination.

Thank You Ray!!
I forgot about this story, until your post about your Novel.
Not a novel here, but a fun story.
It's even a better story, for people in this area who remember the talk about the Phantom Buck, back in those days.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Loved it. Brought me back to when I was that age and my father would take me and my brother hunting in the woods of Upstate New York.

Thanks for sharing.

great story bear, thanks for sharing it. don't know why but I love the part when you said he was between 300-800 pounds, made me chuckle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky