The new Q 1200

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
The big gasser died and I just didn't feel like buying another big one since it is just me and the wife and my youngest anymore. For the past 5 years or so I've been using a little smoke hollow propane BBQ for camping and at home. Primarily use charcoal but out of convenience its nice to have propane. There are times when we are camping that we cant use charcoal due to wildfire hazards.

The problem with the smoke hollow is it has two temp settings, lava and surface of the sun. So one has to really pay attention and you always have to be fussing with the meat.

So after much contemplation I settled on a Weber Q1200. I also purchased the stand and the cover that goes with it.

Honestly I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the stand. Its pretty low (even for this short guy) and its a bit wobbly on an even surface for my liking. The reviews were good for it but I'm not totally happy with it. I'll make it work for camping but I will set something up better for it at home. Its also kind of a pain to fold up with the the grill on it.

I did my first official cook on it the other day. I always like to do chicken breasts as a test since they can be finicky. Fired up the Q and ran it on low temp. Good even temp across the grates. Cooked the breasts to 162°f IT. Let rest to 167°f. Nice juicy breast. Did SPOG so we could use them for several different meals throughout the week. And added bonus was after the pit cooled down I pulled the two grates and washed them in the sink. Cleaned right up with our standard scrub brush and a bit of Dawn soap.

BBQ Q and cover a working out great. Stand is maybe a 3 out of 5. It works but could be sturdier and easier to fold up with the grill on it.

50828963401_7f24944ca8_c.jpg

50781427641_74ae8e5ae2_c.jpg

50824456008_23b5946e7d_c.jpg

50825551487_17d66990cc_c.jpg

50825554802_d7b9b5f8a9_c.jpg

Looks like a good little grill. I've only heard positive things about the Q grills.

Chris

Congrats and enjoy!
A Weber Q300/3000 came with the house, plumbed into our big propane tank ... seems pretty nice ... put new grates on it but everything else in good shape and seems pretty indestructible. Still, will keep my Vidalia (I like the indirect zone and integrated water pan) and pass this on to daughter/SIL, but absent that I’d be perfectly happy with this Weber for just the two of us to use for quick cooks or sear.

Great Review, Case!
I have My "Q320" for 10 years now, and I still Love it.
It's one piece, and not really made for portability---Pretty heavy!
It's built very solid, doesn't wobble, and works great.
Only weakness IMHO is it does have hot & not so hot areas.
I also don't like the configuration of the Gas Tubes & controls. It has one knob for the perimeter, and one for a straight line across the middle, so you have to light the whole thing no matter how much or how little you want to Grill. It would be much better to have one side on one control, and the other side on another control. That way if you want to make 1 Steak or 4 Burgers, you only have to light half the grill.

Bear Jr got me a new pair of Grates for Christmas, but I'm waiting for Spring to change them. The originals are kinda falling apart, one sliver at a time.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky