The New Plan, is it safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gearjammer

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Central New York
OK, here's my new plan for ground and formed bacon.

About a three pound chuck steak

About two pounds of pork butt

This will all total out to five pounds

I have rounded these numbers a little 

Cure #1       4.35 grams       .2 oz

Salt            52.6 grams       2 oz

Brown sugar   22.68 grams    .8 oz

NFDM           .5 cup

Honey or maple syrup        .25 cup

This will be brought to a fully cooked temperature in the smoker.

Some of this will definitely be fried.

First thing, is this safe, did I do the math correctly?

Secondly do you think the taste will be ok?

If anyone has any suggestions on other spices to add

I would like to hear them too.

Thanks everyone for the help with this

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
GJ, morning.....   I find it very interesting you chose the recommended amount of cure #1 for bacon....   Good for you....  A lot of folks totally ignore the USDA / FSIS recommendations for curing bacon....  including using Morton's Tender Quick...

It's good that you that you follow recommended guidelines for curing food...  Maybe others will follow your example......    Dave

Last edited:
Isn't formed bacon just sausage shaped like a slab?

Why not just make sausage , slice it and fry it like bacon?
YES...This ain't Bacon...Belly bacon is Intact Meat and can be 50%+ fat and the reason why less cure can be used. This is ground meat at around 20% fat and like any other Sausage should use the higher amount of Cure,. That said, the amount of Cure chosen is still safe to use, especially with further cooking. The final texture will be like any other sausage unless you add Meat Glue like Butcher & Packer Special Meat Binder to get that extremely tightly bound Turkey Bacon texture...JJ

Last edited:
I want to thank you guys for the comments

and for checking out what I'm trying to do.

As long as it is safe, I'm happy enough.

The stuff Reinhard did looked really good to me.

Thanks to Dave, Atomic and Chef JJ.

Ed

icon14.gif
......   Thanks to Dave, Atomic and Chef JJ.....   Everyone on this forum is here to help.... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky