The last meal...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Purchased a new smoker today and was assembling it. Took a break for lunch, which happened to be the last of 4 racks of ribs I smoked last weekend.

In the middle of my lunch I realized I was most likely eating the last food I’ll cook on my WSM; my dad has expressed interest, and my new smoker will most likely make it obsolete. It is my first smoker, and I learned more on that than I will on probably any smoker in my life. Strange to get a bit sad at that?

Upwards and onwards with the new unit, but a bit sad to retire the WSM.

I guess you can look at it as your last meal, but I'd be more inclined to look at it as your future first meal with your new rig. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: mcokevin
WSM is a great cooker, no doubt. This is not the last meal though as it will continue toe used by someone else. This is the beginning of a new era in your culinary life. Enjoy it, bask in the glory, and, and covet every opportunity to fire up the new cooker.

Robert

It is always a little sad to move on but I think you will be really happy with the 1050. I have a 560 and I can’t tell you how much I love it. All the taste of charcoal and wood with the ease and temperature accuracy of electric. It heats up fast and is ready to cook in no time. Temps from 150 all the way up to 700. The only thing that’s hard is remembering to remove the slides each time you fire it up.

I did the same upgrade about 2.5 years ago. I too cut my teeth on the WSM. It was a great way to get started, but I never looked back either :) congrats and enjoy the new smoker and all the cooks that come with it!

Many of us including myself started with a bullet style charcoal smoker.I started with an old school Brinkman Smoke n Grill then moved up to the WSM for many years but then settled in with the MES the last 4 years or so.

Still have the WSM but its been very lonely in the corner of the shed.

Thanks all for the kind words! It is nice to break in a new smoker and actually know what I'm doing, vs. the first one I was completely figuring it out on the fly.

Congrats on the new smoker.. what made you want to replace the WSM

I have been somewhat interested in going to a bigger size, as there are a few meals a year that push the 18" WSM past what it really should be used for in terms of capacity. I was poking around the forum and saw the gravity fed options, and from there it was basically just a matter of time. The added cook surface (1050 square inches vs 480 with the 18" WSM) will give me the capacity I need, and the convenience and accuracy of the gravity fed with automatic temp control will allow me to both use my smoker a lot more and undertake some overnight cooks without sacrificing a night of sleep

Nice move upward. What's the inaugural meal for the MBG? 🍻
John

A couple of chickens. One probably won't turn out to be too good as it wasn't completely thawed when I put it on...just purchased today, didn't plan too well! lol. I think it'll make it through 140 in 4, but we will see.

IMG_0595.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky