The La Caja China ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
True Cajuns call then a "Coon-Ass Microwave" it works off inverted heat. You build a fire above or on top of you meat in a metal lid type tray. The fire heats the metal lid which in-turn heats the box, mine can run about 300-350. It is a fool proof method of cooking, it is kind of like cooking in a cross between pressure cooker and an oven, is the best way to describe it.  I have been building a version of them for 12 years now and it is not smoking. The fire and smoke never comes in contact with the food...It's above it. Don't get me wrong it's a great way of cooking large tough pieces of meat. It will make them fork tender..... but there’s no smoke taste. I have built 100's of them over the years, anywhere from 24" x 24" x 20" deep to one of the largest was built into a trailer which was 48" x 96" x 36" deep. I had to build it so one end would open like an over door so they could access the meat. I will post some pictures when I get in .....the hardest thing with them.........is……. you have to like to like to sit around poke at a fire and drink beer......LOL.......Shoneyboy   

I have the La  Caja China #1.  First time out, time was short and we couldn't find a "smalll" pig for the roast.  I purchased four large Boston Butts and  used the Pierna Criollo (Stuffed Pork Shoulder) recipe from the Throwdown with Bobby Flay video.  The link is from the La Caja China website (also has a recipe for the Mojo, if you can't find the already prepared kind. 

http://www.lacajachina.com/recipes/pierna-criolla-a-lo-caja-china.html

The Butts turned out sweet and delicious, and everybody raved about them. 

Next time out, I had found a pig from a local farmer, who we guessed was about 60 pounds,  70 pounds is the maximum live weight for the #1 box. Turned out, he was 85 pounds live weight, when picked up from the butcher, but I was able to stuff him into the box and and roast went great.  (Went a little longer on the time, according to the instructions, but I had allowed the extra time, so no biggie)  I used the Mojo marinade, injected him the night before, and rubbed him down with Adobo, and he was delicious. 

Third time, our local Sam's Club had roasting pigs in the 20-30 lb range.   We picked one up and prepped him with the Mojo.  I had just obtained the Smoke Pistol, but with it being my first time out, I couldn't get the smoke output very consistent, and he didn;t have a lot of smoke flavor, but still turned out great and cooked in a little under 3 hours. (hmm...I'm thinkin Amazen Smoker??)  I've since used the Smoke Pistol with my ECB electric and got great smoke flavor for butts and brisket. 

I would reccomend anyone getting one of these boxes to spend the extra $$ to get the #2 box with the increased capacity for a 100 lb pig, because, at least in my area, it is hard to find a 70 lb or less pig.  Most farmers don't want to mess with selling a pig that small, and the online sources are pretty pricey.   

Perry, congrats on the recipe book, I am placing my order this evening! 

Brad

Hey Walle

I have looked at this post several times and am always in awe of your skills - I am trying to help Mr Perkins win one of the three they are giving away as he has my 4H  kids in the running to donate a box to.

Thanks for all the great posts -

Scar

I have done a 200lb live weight sow on a big coon ass micowave .

Took about 8 hrs to be falling apart tender.

The ones we built at a former employer were all stainless .

i'm sure they will still be cooking on them after i'm long gone.

Hey Walle

I have looked at this post several times and am always in awe of your skills - I am trying to help Mr Perkins win one of the three they are giving away as he has my 4H  kids in the running to donate a box to.

Thanks for all the great posts -

Scar
Thanks, Scar!  Good on ya for helping those kids out
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

...on a big coon ass micowave .

Took about 8 hrs to be falling apart tender.

The ones we built at a former employer were all stainless .

i'm sure they will still be cooking on them after i'm long gone.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  your lingo PROVES you know your way around one of these, EMAN!!

I love this shot of my dad's - this is a year ago after we finished butchering hogs - coon ass full of fresh pig ribs.... not ideal conditions, but if your fire is hot, you can do it!

217da5cc_TraceysCamera245.jpg

Last edited:
Brad,

Thanks!

I agree, the Model #2 is the way to go, or maybe the Semi Pro if you like the bling, and the spigot (which I do, lol.)

As far as smaller pigs, I've had my best luck contacting local restaurant supply stores. Locally, I use Cash & Carry, but I'm sure there's someone like them in your area. Asian groceries are a good bet, too.

Thanks again,

-Perry

Just a follow up...our second La Caja China cookbook, "La Caja China World" just released. Traditional recipes from countries around the world, adapted for the roasting box!

Thanks again,

- Perry

Perry P. Perkins
Author
“La Caja China Cooking”
"La Caja China World"

Has anybody roasted a hog in the La Caja China that was already skinned? I'm having an issue finding a meat processor that will scald and scrape the oinker for me. If so, what did you do differently? I was going to place foil over the hog earlier than I normally would to keep the flesh from drying or burning. 

I'd like to hear any other ideas that you guys may have...

Thanks,

Leo

try looking for a local farm or meat source outside of a supermarket. Chinese markets, carnicerias, and other ethnic places may have them as well.

As for your other question I would be carefull but any cut of meat can be cooked inside the box. I've seen turkeys and chickens done too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky