The first batch of Umai Salami fermenting ~ now the fear sets in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
BC Canada/ Tucson, Az.
Greetings all. It's been a while since I pulled out the grinder to make anything. I've got a batch of hot Italian sausage thats going in the smoker in the morning and 2 400+ gr chubs of Salami in Umai casings now fermenting.
I bought a couple kits to try them out so used their included recipe and bumped it up with a little fennel. I followed their instructions to the T BUT....
Now the fear sets in. I'm watching the fermentation and it suggests 65 to 72 degrees. I'm at the top end of 72 for sure and watching. Its got to sit for 36 to 72 hrs. I swear to god I dont want to kill anyone. What if it gets over 72... say to 75?? How do I know for sure its fermented at 36 hrs, how do I know it doesnt need to go a full 72 hrs?

Any reassurance or help would put me over the present anxiety level.
20190705_124854.jpg
20190705_145628.jpg

I have done Umai and was asking a lot of questions. I do not feel comfortable answering your question, but can get ya some help with some guys that are real knowledgeable on the process. They helped me out!
pc farmer pc farmer
BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker

Where are you fermenting at? My experience is at at warmer temps you don't need as long fermenting. Warmer temps won't make anyone sick. I can smell the fermenting going on and pull when I get the smell I want. But.....

I'm watching the fermentation and it suggests 65 to 72 degrees

The temp range suggested is pretty much gospel... The bacteria that gives the flavor profile you are looking for, grow the best at that temp....
I'm not sure what range of temps each bacteria can handle.. It's best to follow the recommendation.. You don't want to kill your flavor profile..

Reactions: chopsaw
The temp range suggested is pretty much gospel... The bacteria that gives the flavor profile you are looking for, grow the best at that temp....
I'm not sure what range of temps each bacteria can handle.. It's best to follow the recommendation.. You don't want to kill your flavor profile..

I agree but if you can't it won't kill you if you eat it. As long as you are close to what they recommend.

Reactions: chopsaw
What if it gets over 72... say to 75?? How do I know for sure its fermented at 36 hrs, how do I know it doesnt need to go a full 72 hrs?
You'll know by the color and the smell . To me it all ready looks to be fermenting . It's good to understand the different cultures , what temps they work at , and the flavors they impart .
I let mine hang 72 hours even if it's nice and red over night and smelling good .
I think you're close enough in your temp , but to Daves point if it doesn't correctly ferment you lose the flavor profile but is still safe to eat like farmer said .

Reactions: pc farmer
Went and found some pics that might tell the story . This was my first time doing Umai .
Note the color difference . Just stuffed and hung . 0925161244.jpg
After hanging 24 hours or more .
0927161708.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Breathing a little easier now. I just checked the temperature on the hour for 3 hrs and its right at 72. I'm using a fridge to ferment in before moving to the cold fridge later this week. I grabbed this picture at 3 hrs post stuffing. It's already taking a deep red colour on.

Weather here is rainy for the next week so ideal, cool temps rather than our usual Southern Okanagan heat.
20190705_174249.jpg

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
So with such a variation in fermentation time (from 36 to 72 hours) When does one end the fermentation? Its there something to look for or is it about the time required to attain a flavor?

The 36-72 hours is for the ferment to get a good start.... Then the salami hangs in a temp./ humimity environment for up to 6 months until the proper amount of moisture has been lost from the meat... As this happens, the meat acidifies from the bacteria killing any nasty bacteria and making the meat safe to eat...

So i pulled them at 48 hrs and theyve been drying lovely in the fridge since.
Tomorrow im making a 2 pound batch of chorizo to hang. Ill grab an updated picture as my sakami is looking rosey red, delightfully dry and sexy.
....just 3 more weeks of waiting...

15 days of drying in a very cold fridge (5 degrees)
The one on the right is oval rather thsn round by choice. I wanted a different shape so when i packed the umai bags i left enoungh space to flatten it out.
20190722_082938.jpg
20190722_082920.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky