The Copper Pot Prime NY & L Over Oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So last year we took our son to Hells Kitchen in Vegas for his 18th.......so we are like what on earth can we do this year to at least come close........

Well to match the “scene” of Vegas we spent the morning in the Jeep cruising the local strip......this is 45 min drive from the house....
D93706CB-04AB-405B-BEC5-0E5AA2B3F226.jpeg

Next up was some THICK prime NYs!!
7154962E-DFBC-4793-99F2-4ADBD25E2068.jpeg

These are screamed “take me home” when I saw them!
B172EE37-2A70-4474-8C1A-3DE21694FEF8.jpeg

Heavily seasoned them with kinders and some Weber steak and chop.....I recently found this and it is a SPOG blend with lemon peal and citric acid.....it tastes very similar to my own SPOG w/lemon pepper so it’s the easy button!
2EBC16CF-B7D1-47D7-A7A2-6A68F6D40805.jpeg

getting the copper pot prepped.....starting the coals over the burner......just a nice evening for grilling!!!!
FC654D0F-F21F-43DC-9E84-083AF5586C06.jpeg

Coals are ready, now getting a couple splits fired up.....
416E44E2-2B4E-425D-9B11-B78C87CCD40A.jpeg

since we were competing with Gordon Ramsey we had to add some “flare” to the NYs!
417E9DDD-D7A8-4BDC-9DFF-1E5187E87ACE.jpeg

just a little Cajun sprinkle and a light coat of EVOL and in they go!
F30B028F-45F6-412B-BD1A-00DE0017C086.jpeg

I find this very pleasing to the eye! Just magical.......
CD50B804-BA47-4DC9-A14C-53F63EAF568D.jpeg

Next the NYs get their turn touching the magic!
67248F61-D168-461D-8340-BCD7007B2D71.jpeg

just love this!!! Hells Kitchen didn’t have this!
1269066D-5EC9-4900-8628-A1C3719A3FC5.jpeg

so here is the token copper pot VC fire pic!
C7CCB721-996F-47C3-A65D-1C41BA020FA1.jpeg

after 18 mins I pulled the Lobster.....just natural heat kissed!!!
E5512BF7-B531-4D21-9ED1-CCF8EAB5F1B3.jpeg

I moved the NY up top to let them come up to 130 after their flame sear!
8ED20718-F0CE-448A-873F-7C382B2D07E9.jpeg

Man oh Man!!!!
CE9D7B30-EC66-4930-8117-D5B4BDD5659B.jpeg

the plate was dressed with my wife’s creamy Marsala sauce and some GR Yukon mash.....had to have something from the Hells Kitchen experience to rekindle that memory in the boy....then topped off with some seared shrooms and garden fresh chopped herbs!!!
564C20FF-BA39-4C02-A3CD-4AD795866BC2.jpeg

Pure birthday goodness......and 1/4 the price of the GR meal......the boy gave his thumbs up!
95585E55-AFD3-42BA-98D4-4126991B7926.jpeg

.....success!

Ole’ copper strikes again! Man, I love the look of the food off of that cooker! Absolutely out of the park! You nailed a special meal for a very special occasion. Supper nice work my friend.

Five star+++. I’d pay a pretty sum to eat that meal!! You nailed it.
Thanks jcam! Pressure was on but now pretty relieved now!!

Ole’ copper strikes again! Man, I love the look of the food off of that cooker! Absolutely out of the park! You nailed a special meal for a very special occasion. Supper nice work my friend.
Many thanks edge.....Its a fun cooker with play with!!! It surprises me every time!

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
You know I got a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks.....(Just hinting)! LOL. Man that is some great looking food. Y'all did the boy right.
Jim

You nailed that one! Definitely better than HK in my opinion! The food looks awesome, as does the dessert... but I sure love the copper pot and especially the way you capture the fire almost dancing!

Ryan

Perfect all the way around! That is my favorite combination of foods, I could eat that every day. Great job for an excellent occasion.

You know I got a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks.....(Just hinting)! LOL. Man that is some great looking food. Y'all did the boy right.
Jim
thanks Jim and just make the trek and the copper pot will make the fire! Oh and you will have to fight the Boy! He is about 6-2 now....

That is an absolutely excellent meal !!
thanks gator!

Civil, I don't know that you can top that next year...
Thanks and I know.....I know.....but have another year to think about it!

Looks great . Best way to cook a steak for sure .
Thanks Chop! I have to agree, flame searing is amazing!

Looks delicious
Thanks peachy! It hit the spot for sure!

You nailed that one! Definitely better than HK in my opinion! The food looks awesome, as does the dessert... but I sure love the copper pot and especially the way you capture the fire almost dancing!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! My wife has the mash and sauce down just like HC...the meat cut at HC is still a bit better but flavor wise a cast iron sear can’t match a flame seat IMOP.

the fore was dancing for sure....there is a chill in the air so very nice standing next to it!

Last edited:
Perfect all the way around! That is my favorite combination of foods, I could eat that every day. Great job for an excellent occasion.
Thanks MJB! I’m with you on the every day meal! It would require a 5 mile hike with it though.....but hey that’s perfect to!

Phenomenal! And I am with Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , love the fire pics!

BTW, any leftovers? If so, I am on my way for breakfast!
Thanks WHB! The fire was posing so I just obliged.....lol!

Leftovers......just enough for some steak and eggs.....but the boy will be guarding them.....I wouldn’t even think about messing with that....we will have to try some apricots wood on some.....it’s just drying nicely....

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I am up for adoption. . . just saying ! :emoji_innocent:

Everything looks fantastic and the pictures tell the story.

What a truly incredible meal!! Absolutely magnificent and as always, beautiful pics with superb documentation. Very well done and happy birthday to your son.

Side note: I have a birthday coming up pretty soon and I'm available for adoption :emoji_wink:

Thinking probably not,
Robert

Reactions: MJB05615
I am up for adoption. . . just saying ! :emoji_innocent:

Everything looks fantastic and the pictures tell the story.
Thanks Winter! sure, now if you will just count for a deduction it would be a done deal!

OMG !!
That's about as Perfect as This Bear Has Ever Seen!!
Unbelievable!!
Like.

Bear
Many thanks Bear! I just love cooking over the open fire!

What a truly incredible meal!! Absolutely magnificent and as always, beautiful pics with superb documentation. Very well done and happy birthday to your son.

Side note: I have a birthday coming up pretty soon and I'm available for adoption :emoji_wink:

Thinking probably not,
Robert
Thanks Robert! We could could consider a popup.....fire seared steaks and such!

I’m coming over to your place for dinner sometime! You do some fine work!

Awesome job!
Thanks Yankee! You are welcome pretty much any time! If we can swing it this spring summer we will have our outdoor kitchen done with the X-Fire, Copper Pot, gasser, and Recteq 1250 all set up.... We will be able to cook some serious eats!..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky