The ASPCA or at least my local branch Sucks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got my dog from Craigslist and recently a cat from the local Humane society. The neighborhood I moved from last spring was a dumping ground in yrs past for unwanted cats so the cats I've had found me. I think word was out that I'm a sucker for strays. This was the 1st time getting one from the HS. $50 for a cat 1-7 yrs old. Neutering/spaying, Felv/Fiv testing. shots, deworming, microchip and registry are included plus a $50 off coupon for the 1st vet visit. All that would have cost $100's at the vet. A lot cheaper in the long run than a "free" cat.
IMG_20190926_135942.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
That's the way it is today as with so many things Gov. Red tape because the SPCA's are run by the local and state gov. We have adopted many from the local spca and only paid a small vet fee. But now they are like you said all the red tape. There are other ways just hang in there JJ. WE could send you a pig or cow from PC Farmer.:emoji_laughing:

Warren

Since this post, thinks changed. 3 years ago, a Facebook lead put me in touch with a Beagle breeder in NY, 2 hours away. The guy had Registered parents but did not want to fool around with registering the pups. I got Smalls, top left, for $150. A year later, my daughter was looking for a puppy. She called the Beagle breeder and was told he had one left and we could get him as repeat customers. That's when we got Brother Bucky. Last Christmas my other daughter was gifted a Pit/Boxer mix. Little white Fenrir, some Norse God, but I call him Phen-Phen, because he is Speed and Energy on 4 legs!
So we went from Zero to 3 in a short time.

20190101_104626.jpg

Dad and the Boys relaxing...Top down, Smalls, Phen and Buck, aka, Mr. BEEFY, the boy is Meaty...:emoji_laughing:

received_382515262694909.jpeg

Phen-Phen has grown a bit. 70 pounds of Love...JJ

20190903_111521.jpg

It is too bad that so many sickos abusing animals have made adoption policies like this justified. Also, funny how people abusing animals for their own reasons gets policies like this but when it is done to pad profits of corporations, all of the sudden, animal cruelty isn't a big deal.

Good luck and hope you find the right animal for both your needs.

It is too bad that so many sickos abusing animals have made adoption policies like this justified. Also, funny how people abusing animals for their own reasons gets policies like this but when it is done to pad profits of corporations, all of the sudden, animal cruelty isn't a big deal.

Good luck and hope you find the right animal for both your needs.

Very true the part that really annoyed me was being denied for being Too Old to care for a Puppy. Posted above is my THREE BOYS all raised from Pups. Too old my A$$!...JJ

Sometimes ya just got to wonder if it's "fate" or just dumb blind luck you're having. Case in point, back in June my wife and I were discussing the fact that for over 40 years we have always had a dog in our household. Ya know that strange empty feeling when you've been dog less for three weeks. We've often talk about all the fantastic dogs we've had. By "chance" I was checking the web for breeders of numerous breeds when I ran across a website for County Animal Control, what the heck. The first pic. to pop was of this cute little cattledog named Patches. With in a minute I was on the phone to the local dog catcher and a few minutes later on the way to Benton Harbor to get our new dog. He fits like a glove. Most people would not think about an 8 year old dog but Heelers aren't most dogs. This poor dog doesn't know what a ball, frizby, tug rope are. He was a porch dog 24-7-365 which explains why he's terrified of weather. He's sliming down a little now that we have a 5 month old GSD. He's slowly learning his basic commands and is a great companion for me.
Sorry, I got to rambling, back on topic. The dog pound charged $75 bucks since he was a senior dog, asked a few questions and didn't even ask for any type of I.D.. Check w/ you local dog catcher, they might hook you up w/ a good dog.

Sometimes ya just got to wonder if it's "fate" or just dumb blind luck you're having. Case in point, back in June my wife and I were discussing the fact that for over 40 years we have always had a dog in our household. Ya know that strange empty feeling when you've been dog less for three weeks. We've often talk about all the fantastic dogs we've had. By "chance" I was checking the web for breeders of numerous breeds when I ran across a website for County Animal Control, what the heck. The first pic. to pop was of this cute little cattledog named Patches. With in a minute I was on the phone to the local dog catcher and a few minutes later on the way to Benton Harbor to get our new dog. He fits like a glove. Most people would not think about an 8 year old dog but Heelers aren't most dogs. This poor dog doesn't know what a ball, frizby, tug rope are. He was a porch dog 24-7-365 which explains why he's terrified of weather. He's sliming down a little now that we have a 5 month old GSD. He's slowly learning his basic commands and is a great companion for me.
Sorry, I got to rambling, back on topic. The dog pound charged $75 bucks since he was a senior dog, asked a few questions and didn't even ask for any type of I.D.. Check w/ you local dog catcher, they might hook you up w/ a good dog.

Blue Heelers are very smart, protective and loyal dogs. Congrats!

Been involved with animal rescues from both sides . The questions are needed , and yes can be received as aggravation or offensive .
Think of it like this ,,, if for some reason you had to find a home for a pet you owned , I know I would ask some of the same questions .
Most people would not think about an 8 year old dog but Heelers aren't most dogs.
Always had GSD's . Until I rescued my first cattle dog . She passed at 9 years , had her from a pup . Went 3 years without because she was just something else . Still miss her .
Last year we rescued Lottie . 5 years old , came off a working farm in southern Missouri . Like you said , won't touch a ball but a stuffed animal meets it's maker .
He was a porch dog 24-7-365
Yup , I was lucky in the fact , Lottie came house broke , never got it the trash or bad stuff in the house , but was for sure and outside dog . Keeping the fox out of the hen house .
20190928_110926.jpg 20190825_163226.jpg
Got to sleep with one eye open so you don't miss something .
20190907_155758.jpg

Our first dog, a Springer mix pup, from the County shelter, on the other side of the state, was 30 years ago. She was one of the two best dogs we ever owned. Would stay by my side, until the first Baby came along and I was cast aside for Nanny Duties! That dog slept under my Daughter's crib or at her side regardless of where we had her. If my Daughter showed any type of distress or started crying, Brittany, sprung into action, found my wife and Barked incessantly motioning for Bev to follow her. As my daughter grew, the dog received payment for her devotion, Casey would throw handfuls of whatever food given, to the Dog and laugh hysterically. That dog raised all three of my Daughters until cancer took her in her 12th year.
Rescue dogs can be awesome and others traumatized Nightmares. Our second shelter dog, Chewed everything wooden, including some expensive antiques and Amish built lawn furniture. If my wife or I raised our voice, at all, to admonish the dog, she would start shaking and void her bladder. While she enjoyed interacting with the children, she pretty much avoided me, hiding if we were alone in a room. I am thinking the previous male owner was abusive to that dog from young. A shame as she had potential but was more work than we were prepared to do. She went back to the shelter...JJ

Reactions: martin1950
Ok, so got this big hunk of property now, plenty of space for a Dog and somebody home 24/7 to take care of a new family member. I decide to go online and check out the ASPCA and Local Shelters as I would rather adopt then spent a fortune to a breeder or puppy mill Pet Store. We find a few dogs we are interested in. Now there are over 300,000 homeless animals in shelters in the US waiting to be adopted. These Freakin' ASPCA NAZI's want a background check, last years tax returns, income statements, 3 valid forms of ID from every member of the household, every member of the house has to have an individual Puppy Social Worker interview, an individual and group supervised Dog meet and greet, Photos of all the Rooms in the House, 4 Point Photo of the Property, at least one possibly 2 unannounced home inspections, 3 Personal References and had the NERVE to ask our references, " Since the prospective owners are RETIRED...Are they still young enough to handle an active Dog? " WTF!!!! 54 is too Old to take care of a dog? Retired don't mean 65+! On top of all this BS, with Fees and what not the COST to adopt is $250!!!! For a TWO YEAR OLD MUTT?!? For $ 300 to 500 there are Pure Breeds with Papers available all over Craigs List! The ATTITUDE of the woman checking references and making the decision is ridiculous, condescending with a noticeable God Complex intonation stating, " Well we have had a few applications for the animal you are interested in. We will vet ALL the prospective owners and decide on the best fit for Henry..."

Now I get it...Can't have Dog Fighting Rings getting ASPCA animals for training and there are expenses to cover, but having us jump through this number of FLAMING HOOPS!?!?!

What a F$%KING JOKE! No wonder there are 300K Animals in Shelters. The search continues... Elsewhere!...JJ
BSmeter.gif

It's a shame. While I get the background review, there are so many animals that need a home, you think there would be a BOGO Promition, not denials!
The really ironic part was the night of the denial, we turned on the TV and there was the Extended Commercial Plea from the ASPCA asking for donations and for more folks to adopt...JJ

When we rescued our 8 yr old ACD from the dog pound, we were thinking "one and done" Now we've got this 5 month old black GSD that she wanted as a birthday gift to keep the old dog healthy, RIGHT!!. Don't need no BOGO deal.

Reactions: chopsaw
My 2 year old Beagle, is usually calm and prefers to Lounge around, jousting with the others when in the mood. He is, however, the leader of the pack and resident Guard Dog, the first to alert the approach of strangers or animal intruders on the property. His younger brother Beagle, 18 months old, and the 1 year old Pit/Boxer Mix, battle, wrestle and play tug if war with anything they can get their teeth on. The younger two play until the older brother alerts then there is a Trio of Defenders barking and howling at the windows or door...JJ

It's a shame. While I get the background review, there are so many animals that need a home, you think there would be a BOGO Promition, not denials!
The really ironic part was the night of the denial, we turned on the TV and there was the Extended Commercial Plea from the ASPCA asking for donations and for more folks to adopt...JJ
The whole ASPCA org. is a scam and should be shut down along with the Humane Society Of The US. Its all about the buck and the animals are just fundraising props. Local Humane Societies are usually a much better option. The Salem OR HS has free adoption months when they're getting overwhelmed during puppy and kitten season(s).
https://www.activistfacts.com/organ...r-the-prevention-of-cruelty-to-animals-aspca/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky