Thawing brisket - time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
I was gifted a brisket from Snake River Farms. It arrived frozen and I put it in the chest freezer. How long should I plan for it to thaw in the fridge? Do you think it’s too late to thaw to smoke on the 23rd?

I'm just going to throw this out there. not a recommendation just example. I have granite counter tops so I throw a chunk of meet like brisket or butt on it and for about 3 to 5 hours I move or flip it during this time.. seems like the counter top does good job of starting the thawing process. I then put it in fridge to finish thawing. I think this helps to knock 24 to 36 hours off process pending weight and thicknesss.

I did mine in a few days thawing with cold water running over them I side a bucket in the bath tub for 1 to 1.5 hrs at a time and storing in the fridge between water cycles. Took 2-3 days

I was gifted a brisket from Snake River Farms. It arrived frozen and I put it in the chest freezer. How long should I plan for it to thaw in the fridge? Do you think it’s too late to thaw to smoke on the 23rd?
Put it in the fridge now and I bet you will be ok.

2 days before if it isn't moving along well I would do what phathead69 phathead69 suggests and that should get you there

I think you are covered above, but if you want be sure ship it to me and I will thaw it for you and send pics on the 23rd of the results......you know the saying isn't a picture worth a 1000 words?

FYI, I would put just put it in the fridge and on the evening of the 20th or morning of 21st would trim it and rub it with salt and back in the fridge for a dry bine till ready to cook on the 23rd

Reactions: phathead69
My stuff usually takes long time defrost but use my drink fridge and its cold. This time thawed in two days. Was going to do Christmas but guess better do this weekend.

Nice gift!! You should be fine even if it is thawed a coupe of days early. SRF does a 30 day wet age on their briskets, then they are frozen so you are in for a treat.

I'm just going to throw this out there. not a recommendation just example. I have granite counter tops so I throw a chunk of meet like brisket or butt on it and for about 3 to 5 hours I move or flip it during this time.. seems like the counter top does good job of starting the thawing process. I then put it in fridge to finish thawing. I think this helps to knock 24 to 36 hours off process pending weight and thicknesss.
On flat items, or reasonable flat, I use an aluminum jelly roll pan. Those TV ads for quick thawing were likely just aluminum; nothing special. And so I use what we have and it works well. Not perfect but it does well, Just flip it over every couple hours.

Reactions: phathead69
No problem, put it in the fridge now and it will be ready for you to smoke on the 23rd. Actually should be ready a day or two earlier.

Great! It’s a 13 pounder and it’s been in the fridge for 1.5 days. Thanks for the advice! Gonna be a smoking Xmas!

Have a good game plan for the smoke, follow it, and great eats will be the reward. SRF Wagyu brisket is always great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky