Thanksgiving Butt Ham - Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chasenr

Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Hi All!

Going to start by thanking everyone for sharing their expertise. I have enjoyed gleaning the threads for information and am learning day by day.

I pretty well started smoking this year but I have a few bacons under my belt. A special thanks Bear for your recipes and step by steps! You make it look so simple!

Anyways, to cut to the chase, I am attempting to cure and smoke a ham for thanksgiving. I have used Bears dry cure for a few bacons, including Canadian bacon, and they have turned out fantastic! I foolishly shared the Canadian bacon with my in laws, which resulted in my MIL asking if I could make the ham for Thanksgiving... After failing to convince her that Canadian bacon is quite different then ham and shouldn't really replace the ham, I gave in and said I would attempt a "ham". So I started reasearching:

Because so many on this forum love Pops brine, I decided I would give it a try. I purchased a 5lb shoulder and decided to remove the bone.
After creating the brine based off of Pops recipe, I injected the various muscles on the shoulder and laid the whole thing in a bucket with the brine. I decided to hold off on the trussing for the first week so that the brine could penetrate everywhere. Then a week in, I took the brine out, trussed it, and then back in the bucket for the remaining week.

And this is where I sit.... pondering what I should do next. It will come out tonight and air over night , possibly 2 nights, to form the pellicle. I am planning on cold smoking it for a day and then letting it rest in the fridge for 2 days and then into the crockpot Thanksgiving day.

Do you guys think this is a good way to prepare?

I do have to admit that I currently only have a big cheif... :*/ this limits my hot smoking abilities..
I'm in the process of getting a UDS built but I won't have it complete in time to hot smoke the ham...

Thanks for reading!
Nate

You can cold smoke, smoke at 180 to an IT of 145 and it will be ready to eat, but either way, I would only heat or reheat to 145. It will be tender and juicy sliced. Crock Pot is ok but watch the IT, unless Pulled Ham is the goal...JJ

Thanks Jimmy. Good advice... I struggle with the idea of smoking same day as eating as the loins I have tried right after smoking have had a very harsh smoke flavor. I find resting them makes a huge difference.
But... I don't want to serve a cold ham either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned with CBP, garlic salt, and onion powder.

I think I'm going to smoke to 145it tomorrow as JJ suggested, let rest for a couple days, and then briefly reheat again Thanksgiving day.

Sounds good. I cook ahead for Thanksgiving. Past years with the smells and tasting all day, I didn't want to eat with the family. Now everything done by Wed., I reheat and an hour later we all sit and enjoy the meal and each others company...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky