Texas Camping Trip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
My wife and I will be vacationing throughout the great state of Texas soon. Our trip includes stops in Austin, Terlingua (near Big Bend National Park), Van Horn (near Carlsbad Caverns) and Amarillo.
I’m looking for recommendations as it relates to places to eat. I have to hit one of the icons In Austin (not sure which one yet) but more interested in awesome mom and pop type places.
Thanks,
Johnny Ray

Reactions: campfirestu
But your title says camping trip. That means "places to eat" is sitting around the camp fire. Sure hope the weather warms up soon for ya.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
We've been to Austin a couple of times in the past so naturally we had to try Franklin's and the Salt Lick. If you want to eat Franklins Q you have to get in line early, or pay someone to get in line for you. The foods great, not a whole lot of atmosphere. The Salt Lick has it all with that unique Q going right in the center of the place, great atmosphere and sit-down service, the place is legendary. I've heard locals talk of some other joints that are off the charts too. If you want the Salt Lick get a reservation well in advance, just my 2¢. RAY

My wife and I will be vacationing throughout the great state of Texas soon. Our trip includes stops in Austin

Louie Mueller's in Taylor, just northeast of Austin is far and again the best. No doubt when you walk in you're heading into a true Texas BBQ joint. The food is outstanding and beats any that I've ever had commercially.

but more interested in awesome mom and pop type places.

Mom & pop places? The best of the bunch by far is Casa Bianca, just a few minutes northwest of Austin. Tracy is the mom, I would be the pop, and Bianca is the beagle in my avatar. If you wanna swing by, we'd happily roll out the red carpet for you guys and put on one heck of a spread...and you wouldn't have to pay for it or tip the server :emoji_laughing:

Leaving the light on,
Robert

But your title says camping trip. That means "places to eat" is sitting around the camp fire. Sure hope the weather warms up soon for ya.
Oh there will be plenty of “sitting / eating around the campfire” but I have to try some local cuisine. 😀
Should be ok by the end of March (I hope).
JR

I'm just gonna throw this one out there. Your path doesn't really put you in Pecos (but) If ANYONE is ever near Pecos I highly recommend La Nortena Tamale Factory.

Green Chili Chicken Tamale ....................... OMG!

One of the hottest newer places is;

Also Smokey Joe's offers good Q for a chain and you can walk up to the counter and order, then leave with your food in under 10 minutes

Reactions: Johnny Ray
I haven't been in years, well, decades, actually, but the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo is a local icon.

My dad hated to fly but loved to drive, so we drove coast-to-coast 13 times before I turned 18 to visit family. The Big Texan was often a stop if the timing was right, and a big disappointment if we drove on by. I loved chopped steak as a kid. Probably started there.

We've been to Austin a couple of times in the past so naturally we had to try Franklin's and the Salt Lick. If you want to eat Franklins Q you have to get in line early, or pay someone to get in line for you. The foods great, not a whole lot of atmosphere. The Salt Lick has it all with that unique Q going right in the center of the place, great atmosphere and sit-down service, the place is legendary. I've heard locals talk of some other joints that are off the charts too. If you want the Salt Lick get a reservation well in advance, just my 2¢. RAY
Thank you. I’m seriously considering the Salt Lick. I have their cookbook and I have ordered their sauce. Really good sauce.
JR

Louie Mueller's in Taylor, just northeast of Austin is far and again the best. No doubt when you walk in you're heading into a true Texas BBQ joint. The food is outstanding and beats any that I've ever had commercially.

Mom & pop places? The best of the bunch by far is Casa Bianca, just a few minutes northwest of Austin. Tracy is the mom, I would be the pop, and Bianca is the beagle in my avatar. If you wanna swing by, we'd happily roll out the red carpet for you guys and put on one heck of a spread...and you wouldn't have to pay for it or tip the server :emoji_laughing:

Leaving the light on,
Robert
I think Louie Mueller’s and Salt Lick may get the nod while in Austin. I hate to be there and not try Franklin’s but I’d like something with a bit more atmosphere.
As for your Mom and Pop Joint Invitation, all I can say is wow! Especially in the World of COVID as we know it. What a wonderful gesture. I will private message you to discuss farther.
Thanks,
JR

I haven't been in years, well, decades, actually, but the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo is a local icon.

My dad hated to fly but loved to drive, so we drove coast-to-coast 13 times before I turned 18 to visit family. The Big Texan was often a stop if the timing was right, and a big disappointment if we drove on by. I loved chopped steak as a kid. Probably started there.
On my list to do. 😀
Thanks,
JR

I think Louie Mueller’s and Salt Lick may get the nod while in Austin.

You've picked two of the best. Salt Lick is in Driftwood and just an amazing atmosphere surrounded by the huge oak trees. Perfect Hill Country setting!! Their food is cooked on an open pit though as opposed to a smoker but man is it good stuff!! Louie Mueller's is iconic Texas BBQ. That place has been around forever and you'll know it as soon as you walk in the door. Don't be looking for Waterford crystal glasses and an upscale vibe. All you're gonna get is an old place that's had a smoker running in it for many years and the best Q you'll likely ever eat. Ya gotta try the beef ribs. OMG!! If you're around the city for a couple days and feel like making a 45 minute to an hour drive, Black's in Lockhart is legendary and well worth the trip.

What a wonderful gesture. I will private message you to discuss farther.

The offer is genuine and please believe, Tracy and I have been super careful and extremely responsible through this whole ordeal. We'd be honored to open our house to you so please don't hesitate to reach out with any plans you may have. I bet it'd make a nice thread in the forum too :emoji_wink:

Robert

Solid advice here..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky