Tex Mex Snack Sticks - MES Dead No Problem!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
I already had this mixed up to smoke when the element gave out on the MES40. Since it had Cure #1 in it, I didn't think it could be frozen until either the new element showed up or I bought a new smoker, so I decided I'd go ahead and cold smoke them a couple hours and then throw them in the oven to cook them. 

So I got them stuffed and hung in the smoker with some hickory and cherry. No problem. About an hour in I remembered a 525 watt electric charcoal starter I had seen in the storage shed and figured if I could get the temp to at least 150* - 170* with it, I'd be a happy camper. Plugged it in, put it in the smoker and away we went. 

While I realized I wouldn't be able to control the temperature, I'd just do whatever I had to to keep fairly steady low temps in the smoker. I was surprised, without the cookie sheet baffle, I could get temps up to 230* with this thing and with the cookie sheet inserted on the bottom rack I could maintain temps of 159* - 173*. 

Yeah snack sticks got done!

The element I used:

This finished snack sticks, PS Seasonings Tex Mex (these babies are hot):

My dad is going to be a happy person when he gets these!

Thanks for looking.

Man those turned out nice. Great idea using that element for heat 

Nice sticks.

PS makes good seasoning and they make the Cabelas seasoning kits.

That worked pretty good.....EH

I recently put a new 1000w in my Bradley

Thanks Rick! I didn't want to throw out another batch of it, I threw 5 lbs out when I evacuated. Thought my dad was going to break down when I told him it went in the trash. 

I've looked at the Bradley's but I just don't want to deal with those pucks...how long a smoke do you get from one?

Thanks Rick! I didn't want to throw out another batch of it, I threw 5 lbs out when I evacuated. Thought my dad was going to break down when I told him it went in the trash. 

I've looked at the Bradley's but I just don't want to deal with those pucks...how long a smoke do you get from one?
20 mins from each puck but i use my ANZNPS in my bradley most the time

SmokinHusker, way to use the ole' noggin'!! You may be able to knock a good smokingmeat member down, but ya can never count 'em out. Ingenuity will always, "endeavor to persevere". Damn good lookin' sticks ta boot!
thumb1.gif

ShortEnd

Nice lookin sticks! I agree, I think the Bradley and a AMZNPS were made for each other.
Thank you! I'm seriously looking at the combination
SmokinHusker, way to use the ole' noggin'!! You may be able to knock a good smokingmeat member down, but ya can never count 'em out. Ingenuity will always, "endeavor to persevere". Damn good lookin' sticks ta boot!
thumb1.gif

ShortEnd
Thank you, I was a military wife and mom, so "endeavor to persevere" or "adapt and overcome"!

Looks like some nice Sticks...I love Hot foods...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky