Tex Mex Pork Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Disclaimer: In a recent post I did, our longtime friend and staff member SmokinAl SmokinAl told me to keep the posts coming. Far be it from me to defy a directive from a staff member so this one is all his fault :emoji_laughing:

Our good friend clifish clifish posted his Italian themed spaghetti squash boats a few days ago and they looked amazing. In that thread he threw a friendly little challenge my way so I just had to accept it :emoji_wink: Spent a couple days thinking which direction to go with these and considered several options. A couple of the thoughts were Greek themed but I'd never eaten spaghetti squash so wasn't sure how they would turn out. I strongly considered basically a gyro in the squash complete with the seasoned meat, onions, tomatoes, tzatziki sauce, and feta cheese with the squash being the "pita bread". In the end though I went Tex Mex because Cliff mentioned that he'd thought about going that direction....and we love us some Tex Mex around here.

The boats cleaned out and on the grill to pre-cook. I cleaned more of the stuff out of the storage hold on my boats to add more goodies. Grill running about 425.
003.jpg

While the squash is on the grill I cut up a couple of center cut pork loin chops. Into a skillet with some of my Mexican spice mix and a touch of Sazon Goya
004.jpg

Lightly cook the pork and add Ro Tel tomatoes with green chilies
005.jpg

Let that simmer a bit till you have a nasty looking mess in the skillet :emoji_laughing:
006.jpg

Squash off the grill after about 40 minutes. Starting to soften up and developing a nice buttery texture.
007.jpg

Line the bottoms with Monterrey Jack cheese
008.jpg

Load them full of the meat and tomato mixture
009.jpg

Fresh chopped onions and jalapenos
010.jpg

A generous helping of Queso Oaxaca
011.jpg

Drop the grill temp to about 400 and the squash boats back on
012.jpg

20 minutes or so and they are hot throughout and the cheese starting to brown up. Time to pull them.
013.jpg

I'm liking this so far
014.jpg

Once again, all the ooey, gooey melted cheesiness
015.jpg

And this is why these are called "spaghetti squash"
016.jpg

All I can say is WOW!! What a fantastic meal. Never having eaten spaghetti squash before I honestly feel like I've missed out on a lifetime of great food. They are just amazing. A soft buttery texture and flavor that is beyond what I can describe. Not a strong flavor or something really distinct, just a nice, mellow, well-rounded, and appealing flavor. As Cliff noted, these could be taken so many different directions that you're unlimited in combinations of ingredients. After having them, I think the next round is gonna be something Greek themed that I'd originally thought about. Y'all gotta try these, and Cliff....thanks for posting as well as the friendly challenge. This is one for the record books my friend.

Well, that's all. Gonna run now and leave you to your regularly scheduled program.

Robert

Dude, you have never had spaghetti squash before? WOW, you will be amazed at all the dishes you can make with it. More to come I bet! Nice work!
Al

I knew you would throw down the gauntlet with an incredible meal. Now I am hungry, but have to wait till we go out at 6.30 today to a Spanish/Mexican place that I am sure will not be nearly as good as this meal!

I too thought about a gyro boat but am unsure how the sweetness of the squash would go with that? Still have about 5lbs of shaved gyro meat in the fridge so maybe next week.

Thanks for posting this.

Hell yeah. I'm doing one stuffed with wild rice this weekend, it's such a great base ingredient.

Definitely like the looks of that boat! Bet it was delicious with those flavors.

Ryan

Robert, Mrs. SHS looked over and saw the pics of your squash boats. She wants to give them a try.
Thanks for posting them.

Stu

Looks great Robert! Spaghetti squash is delicious! But it always seems to slip my mind to make it. Nicely done!

Looks awesome! Great work and amazing meal! Once I’m through this bbq competition I’m going to try this! Points!

Robert, you are food cooking machine. You should figure out how to bottle that and sell it! Lol. Love spaghetti squash. So versatile. Glad you are now in that club.

That loks awesome! As it happens I am making one tonight . I have ground beef,red bell pepper, onions,salsa, bunch of diferent fresh herbs, dry spices to choose from. It'll be good.

Dude, you have never had spaghetti squash before? WOW, you will be amazed at all the dishes you can make with it.
That's correct Al, never had spaghetti squash before. Several other kinds, but not this one. You're right about options for future attempts too. I can see some good stuff coming sir.

Robert

wow, look great!! thanks for sharing!
Thanks and you're more than welcome. Would love to see a variation from you on this and there's an unlimited number of directions to go with it.

Robert

I knew you would throw down the gauntlet with an incredible meal. Now I am hungry, but have to wait till we go out at 6.30 today to a Spanish/Mexican place that I am sure will not be nearly as good as this meal!
It was an interesting dilemma to go through deciding which direction I wanted. Tex Mex just seemed like a great idea and it worked very well. Lots of bold, complex flavors, that's for sure.
I too thought about a gyro boat but am unsure how the sweetness of the squash would go with that?
Been thinking about that. I'm wondering is maybe a light brushing of a diluted white vinegar on the squash before pre-cooking might do the trick.
Thanks for posting this.
And thank you for the inspiration!! This was a fantastic meal.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky