Testing, one, two, cheese…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I am on my second test smoke after modifying my Masterbuilt propane cabinet. I put the details here:

This afternoon, after cleaning up my garage from this project (used every darned tool I own), I decided to test-smoke a couple of stray blocks of Tillamook cheese that were hanging out. The Tillamook dairy is only about an hour‘s drive from here in Oregon, so that is my favorite.

What is different this time, is after my modifications, I can get the temp down to ninety degrees, and I now have a convection fan to stir the smoke up. In this cabinet, the smoke tends to travel up the back wall and out the top vent. The idea behind the fan is to distribute the smoke evenly.

I started out by cutting up the little blocks into cracker-sized blocks. I let them sit out for two hours to warm up to room temp. Meanwhile, I warmed up the smoker with a mix of apple pellets and chips in a tube. It was forty degrees outside. The smoker was running at ninety, even in a strong wind. After the cheese warmed up, I put them in and left the burner on for about an hour. Then I shut off the burner and let it coast. The smoke generator does not add any heat. I set the convection fan to run at half-speed just to to stir up the smoke.

I have smoked cheese in cold weather before, and felt the cheese did not accept the smoke as well as I had hoped. In warmer weather, I got a better taste. If you have opinions on this, I’d like to hear from you.

After two hours, the cabinet was at sixty degrees. I tested a block and really liked the taste. In fact, I think this may be the best tasting batch to date. And, the blocks did not sweat. I attribute this to the fan. Each block has a nice even smoke unlike past smokes. The cheese is delicious right now without any bitterness. I sliced some up and served it with crackers and wine to enjoy with Mrs. Smoke. She loves it!

The convection fan seems to be making a noticeable improvement in my initial test smokes. Tomorrow I am going to try out a couple of pieces of salmon. Maintaining a low temp for the salmon will be a good test of the PID, and I think the fan is going to make positive difference as well.

A7A06524-328A-4B62-B01B-8FF65A72304A.jpeg

Now that this project has moved out of my garage, I can get back to the important project of fabricating a stainless steel exhaust system for my motorcycle project. Priorities you know.

586F2A6C-7E9F-4D83-9C53-6986948E778F.jpeg

That cheese look mighty good to me.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking exhaust on a fine looking BMW.

What is the car lurking in the background?

Congratulations on your successful smoker mods. I envy your closeness to Tillamook.

Reactions: JLeonard
And the bike , very cool

Thanks, at least it keeps me off the streets. I used to restore MGs. I worked very hard to return them to original. This project I wanted to be a custom. No constraints (other than skills and $$).

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks, at least it keeps me off the streets. I used to restore MGs. I worked very hard to return them to original. This project I wanted to be a custom. No constraints (other than skills and $$).

Always loved the idea of the MG's, back in school friends of mine had a MG Triumph and I almost bought a Midget. That was awhile ago now.
I have also been away from bikes for about 25 years, going tomorrow to look at a 2000 DR650 Street and Trail , it might be a little tall for me . Need something to get me to the backwoods fishing holes

David

Here’s a couple to enjoy memory lane with:

524C08CD-8C00-4238-B438-21CA45DABFD6.jpeg 78FAE2CC-C735-4466-9BDD-B410D11E7D87.jpeg

I think a DR650 would be a lot of fun!

Love the green one, my buddiies Triumph was a real sharp blue.. he always got the girls, lol

yes hoping the DR650 fits good and not too heavy if I do tip her over. I have dropped 1 or 2 but that was awhile ago. not sure how heavy this will be if I set it down in the mud ha ha

David

To get back on track with your mods and yes the cheese,

Your fan you say you pulled from a convection oven. Do you think that could be set up in my smoker with just a dial for speed and power. Just to very lightly move the air/smoke around

David

I will post a parts list and photos later today. I don’t see why you can’t mount it. Does your model have insulation?

It does change where you place your racks due to the fan. I am looking at notching one of my racks to fix this.

sounds good, no insulation on my unit. as mine is set up in the smokers shack i built. out of the weather that way, good for me and the smoker

Could I build a box that attaches to the smoker so the actual fan is set back out of the unit by the thickness of the fan. Or do you think that would impede the air movement.

David

I just posted my build here:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky