Test brisket doneness while wrapped in butcher paper?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hkeiner

Meat Mopper
Original poster
I'm in the middle of smoking my first brisket point (at 230 degrees smoker temp) and just wrapped it in butcher paper when the meat was at 165 internal temp. It is now in the smoker to finish . I understand that doneness is best tested by inserting a probe (skewer, toothpick, or similar) and seeing that it goes in to the meat easily like butter. My question is... is it better to remove the butcher paper to adequately test the doneness of the brisket point or is it better to do it with the butcher paper still wrapped? I ask because removing the paper would be a bit messy (if I have to rewrap the meat if it is not yet done) but would probably give me a better feel for how easy the probe inserts in to various areas on the brisket point. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
First question, do you have a probe inserted in the middle of the thickest part of the flat to monitor the IT?

What is your internal temp? Is this a whole packer? If it is a packer you may need to separate the point from the flat otherwise the flat mat get overdone before the point end is ready. I don't start probing until my internal temp reach's 195

Reactions: okie sawbones
Through the paper works fine, and don't be afraid to bump your pit temp up. Nothing wrong with 230° but you won't see any difference running up closer to 300°.

Probing a point is always going to feel like its done, more fat in there. The whole probe - feel like a jar of peanut butter is based upon the flat.

My question is... is it better to remove the butcher paper to adequately test the doneness of the brisket or is it better to do it with the butcher paper still wrapped?
It's a great question . I do go thru the paper . I'm just not sure what the right answer is . Check one time and it's ready it's good . 2 or 3 times your wrap is full of holes .

It's a great question . I do go thru the paper . I'm just not sure what the right answer is . Check one time and it's ready it's good . 2 or 3 times your wrap is full of holes .
Good point. I wouldn't start testing before I was over 200°, but maybe a double wrap to keep it covered if you have too many holes? That way you could pull the top layer back to probe and cover the hole(s) back up if it ain't ready.

Reactions: mike243 and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky