Tender quick substitute with Prague powder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
My recipe calls for tender quick but I don't have enough and would have to order it. Could I use Prague powder and kosher salt instead or would the flavor be off? For example if I need 1/2 cup of tender quick would I just use 1/2 cup kosher salt and the appropriate amount of Prague powder for the lbs of meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recipe calls for tender quick but I don't have enough and would have to order it. Could I use Prague powder and kosher salt instead or would the flavor be off? For example if I need 1/2 cup of tender quick would I just use 1/2 cup kosher salt and the appropriate amount of Prague powder for the lbs of meat?

Yes, that would work.

What are you making? 

Tracker that is a lot of salt. Most of my sausages I use 2 Tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of cure #1 for 5 lbs.

You can always add more salt when you do a fry test

Richie

Last edited:
There's more in tenderquick than just salt and cure #1. There's Salt, Sugar, .5% Sodium Nitrate, .5% Sodium Nitrite as well as Propylene Glycol. To be more specific:

(Taken from SMF somewhere)
Tenderquick SubstituteTQ is 79% salt 20% sugar 1/2% sodium Nitrite and 1/2% sodium nitrate and propylene glycol
Makes 3-1/2 CupsGramsoz          
Picking Salt45016          
Granulated Sugar2258          
Cure #1682.4          

Directions              
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. It is important to mix this thoroughly to ensure that the pink salt and other ingredients are equally distributed.              

2. The proper usage is 1 tablespoon per pound. The same as Morton Tender Quick.              

3. Store in an air tight container away from sunlight, and it will last indefinitely.    

4. To use the Basic Cure Mix as part of your favorite curing recipes, measure out the amount per pound that your need, then you can add your               
 additional seasonings such as additional sugar, garlic, onions and/or herbs (do not add additional salt).

Crankybuzzard: thanks for replying. I'm making an old family Lebanon bologna recipe

Tropics: thanks for replying. I was just throwing out an example. Not the actual amount of salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky