temps ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

got14u

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2008
WYOMING
just curious if anyone knows what temp is TO COLD for smoking cheese? I have never seen this mentioned before and am curious. I am smoking some cheddar right now with my smoke daddy and temps are at 74-77 and will probably go down some more by the time i am done. thanks again. and q view to follow

I had smoked some sharp chedder cheese this past winter. I think the temp was about 5 degrees above zero. I thought the cheese tasted great, but other people who tried it thought it was too smokey. I also spoke to one of my local butchers, and he told me that they make an air conditioned smoker just to smoke cheese, due to the fact that cheese has a low melting temp. When I smoked my cheese, last winter, I used a copy of the Smoke Daddy smoke gun, as I was expermenting with cold smoking.

great. thanks for the info....i guess i can smoke cheese in the winter up here....
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I think if your smoker is below about 90 degree you'll be fine. They say it helps to set out your cheese to get to room temp. prior to smoking.
Let us know how it turns out.

I mostly do mine in the winter (think Maine in winter) and try not to let the smoker go above 100. I use a lil chief for my cheese- just a note also I fill a large glass bowl with ice or snow and put it under the cheese to help keep it cool

in my experience there is no temp that is too cold as long as you can make smoke - in fact, the colder he better.

last winter i smoked a lot of cheese w/my little chief at 22 degrees below zero (not ****ing wind chill) and it was excellent stuff.

Smoked some sharp chedder 3 weeks ago. Smoke house temp was 80 degrees smoked for about 3 hours cheese got great. Used smoke guns, very little heat produced from these guns.

Does anyone have any recipies for smoking cheeses? What kinds work best. What kind of wood works best?

I have done cheddar and hickory for 2-3 hours...man is it awsome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky