Temperature question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tim W

Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
So. Let's say I'm doing baby back ribs with a 2-2-1 method. I've noticed my temps drop quite a bit after unfoiling. The question is, that would apply to other meats too I guess:

Does hitting the desired temp in the foil/paper count? Let's say I hit 198 in the foil on my ribs and I unwrap them and put them back in. Does it need to get back up to 198? Or am I good to just paint them with sauce and let it ride for that hour or so until that sticky outside gets me...

Same goes for brisket I think when I get the paper off...do I need to get it back up to desired temp?

I did some ribs this weekend and wanted to go no foil but I had to foil it to get it done by dinner...then went straight to the cutting board from the foil and they were good but the outside texture was not to my liking since they were basically still wet...

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky