Temperature and Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennythefireman

Original poster
Jul 26, 2015
Hey y'all! I am going through a cookbook and I see many of the recipes call for a smoker temp of 300 to 350 degrees. My smoker only goes to 275 so how do I compensate the time appropriately without affecting the end results??? 

Hi Lenny ! Check the search feature here for the same type food items, and you will probably find a more reasonable temperature. My guess would be that the cookbook is an older one. Remember how grandma use to cook meat ? Brown all the way through ?
The most important smoking accessory I have is a remote thermometer. With the probe inserted in the thickest part of the meat, you can tell when it is done, and safe to eat. Using temperatures your smoker ( and ours ) can reach, the cooking time will be longer, but the quality will probably be better.
Low and slow is the way to go.

Last edited:
There is no set answer or chart to follow. As Siege pointed out, you have a great source here. Seach for what you want to smoke and you will find 95% of the recipes are smoked in the 225 to 275°F range. Yes there are guys that cook at higher temp, mostly them Gassers and Stick Burning guys. But as a whole we are all about Low and Slow...More time to relax, drink Beer
cheers.gif
 and let Momma watch the Kids.
wife.gif
...JJ
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky