Temp probes keep going bad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
I have a CC Smokepro24sg. Amazing grill, only complaint probes keep going out of sync. I keep them away from the sides to avoid that heat. wash them after every use and let air dry. Am I doing something wrong. I have had 4 replaced already. Thanks for any info on what I am doing wrong here.

I could be wrong but washing the wire especially where it connects to the probe can be a bad thing. Also I wouldn't submerge probes in water to long if you do. I'm sure some of the pros will be around to help ya out.

Are these probes attached to the grill (I'm afraid I don't know that smoker)?
It may be a great grill but maybe the probes not so much.
Stay away from the wire and the connection with water and use an alcohol wipe if you're worried about cooties...

Reactions: Jersey Jimbo
I quit using my Maverick because I was replacing probes at least once a year, even with proper care. It was always the meat probes going bad, but eventually the chamber probe failed.

I never used the meat probe on my Guru because it was 5F off right from the start with the boiling water test. Eventually the chamber probe failed on it, too.

Haven't had an issue with Inkbird probes. Fingers crossed.

The one thing probe failure did for me was change how I smoke. I'm back to only a chamber probe and don't temp meat until I'm nearing the end of a smoke. Then I basically use the probe for a tenderness check, merely noting the meat temp. Started getting consistent and repetitive results with the change.

Reactions: Jersey Jimbo
must be the way I am cleaning them I do run the probes under water to rinse off. ok thanks lesson learned just wipe if probe leave the rest along. Thanks for the info.

soap and water just the probe and some of the wire
This is most likely your problem. Temp probes work by using a small electrical current to measure resistance at the tip of the probe. The resistance changes at different temperatures. When you wash the wire some water can wick down into the probe itself. Any water in there is going to change the electrical resistance and give you inaccurate readings.

Hopefully your probes aren't too expensive. I learned this one the hard way too!

This is most likely your problem. Temp probes work by using a small electrical current to measure resistance at the tip of the probe. The resistance changes at different temperatures. When you wash the wire some water can wick down into the probe itself. Any water in there is going to change the electrical resistance and give you inaccurate readings.

Hopefully your probes aren't too expensive. I learned this one the hard way too!
thank God Camp chef has been replacing them It is still under warranty. But the go for like 30 a pop so now I hope they last now.

must be the way I am cleaning them I do run the probes under water to rinse off. ok thanks lesson learned just wipe if probe leave the rest along. Thanks for the info.

The first Meat Probe on my first Maverick fell apart the first time I used it. I called them & they sent me a new one. That replacement probe is still working fine after 12 years of use. I have 2 other Mavericks (732s) and they are all still using their original probes.

All I do is run Hot water on a scrub sponge, wring it out and scrub the probe. Then I hold the cable where the cable meets the probe, and keep using one long stroke with the sponge at a time, being careful not to pull too hard, or let the cable kink in front of the sponge. NO RINSING AT ALL !!!

Bear

I've had 100% success rate repairing probes that got wet but putting them into a 300F oven for a few hours. Obviously, keep the plug end out of the oven.

Reactions: forktender
Take the probe that isn't working correctly and place it in the oven the next time you cook something. Sometimes they start working again after the moisture is cooked out.

As far as cleaning them, take some 90% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe'um down. I wipe down the probe and the steel wire sleeve all the time. I haven't had a probe go out since I started cleaning them this way.

I've had 100% success rate repairing probes that got wet but putting them into a 300F oven for a few hours. Obviously, keep the plug end out of the oven.
Haha, you type quicker than me, Ive had the same experience saving probes. Good call!!!

Take the probe that isn't working correctly and place it in the oven the next time you cook something. Sometimes they start working again after the moisture is cooked out.

As far as cleaning them, take some 90% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe'um down. I wipe down the probe and the steel wire sleeve all the time. I haven't had a probe go out since I started cleaning them this way.
I did this yesterday with 2 inkbird probes. I swore I did not get any water on upper piece of probe! Just cleaned the lower half.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky