Temp controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PapaRed

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2021
Glendale, AZ
From an old-timer, new WSM user. New being a relative term, I have been using a Weber kettle and a WSM (18”) for a while and am satisfied with both, however find myself chasing temperature on the WSM – especially when smoking sausage. I would like to find a reliable temperature controller for the WSM, and have looked at some specifications, but have not received any responses from manufacturers to my questions.
One of my inquiries is to the power for the controller. I’m not excited about having an electrical cord, whether it is 12VDC or 120VAC to move around. Are there battery operated devices available?
Would appreciate any advice on the type/brand to use.

I'm not sure what you are asking. I thought the wsm was a charcoal device which makes it hard to control? Are you considering moving it to an electric heating device?

I must not have been clear..... " I would like to find a reliable temperature controller for the WSM, and have looked at some specifications, but have not received any responses from manufacturers to my questions. "

You want to use a device like the Flame Boss 400, as an example but dont want to run an extension cord? They dont tell you how much power they use and for a long smoke the battery would have to be big. I would look at a portable power station. The problem is, it's not clear how big to get.

Yes, every place I've looked (on the web) indicates PartyQ is no longer available. Looks like DynaQ is the choice, even though it needs an external power source. Not a deal breaker, but running a cord is a hassle I would rather not deal with.

Not a deal breaker, but running a cord is a hassle I would rather not deal with.
I get that, i was only trying to answer the question in general, how do you get power to run a 110v device without an extension cord. All of the power station devices will be overkill for what you need. the lowest cost is 100. If you dont need power for anything else, find one that has its own battery, i would strongly consider it.

Yes, every place I've looked (on the web) indicates PartyQ is no longer available. Looks like DynaQ is the choice, even though it needs an external power source. Not a deal breaker, but running a cord is a hassle I would rather not deal with.
Give post #62 a good read in this thread… https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-gravity-fed-grill.307088/page-4#post-2281695

Just a few options to consider. Good luck

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: Nefarious
Thanks for everyone joining in to provide options. And, RCAlan, the inverter is a feasible option to consider. I just ordered a DynaQ, so hopefully it will do what I want.

Thanks for everyone joining in to provide options. And, RCAlan, the inverter is a feasible option to consider. I just ordered a DynaQ, so hopefully it will do what I want.
Just received the DynaQ, set it up on my desk just to assure that it works. No documentation - one must log on to the web to read instructions, and then download an app to turn the controller on. (If you can't connect to BlueTooth, the controller can't be used.) Connecting the components makes me think this system is a bit fragile and not conducive to any inclement weather - though not an issue here in the desert.
On first blush, I'm not impressed. I have it connected, and a wee bit of charcoal in the pit to see if it will indeed control a set temperature. Guess I will need to be creative to load enough charcoal to burn 12-14 hours, yet not let it to get above the set temp.
Anyone using this device with a WSM have any tips, I would appreciate them.

Just received the DynaQ, set it up on my desk just to assure that it works. No documentation - one must log on to the web to read instructions, and then download an app to turn the controller on. (If you can't connect to BlueTooth, the controller can't be used.) Connecting the components makes me think this system is a bit fragile and not conducive to any inclement weather - though not an issue here in the desert.
On first blush, I'm not impressed. I have it connected, and a wee bit of charcoal in the pit to see if it will indeed control a set temperature. Guess I will need to be creative to load enough charcoal to burn 12-14 hours, yet not let it to get above the set temp.
Anyone using this device with a WSM have any tips, I would appreciate them.

So I ran a test (no food in WSM) with a bit of charcoal and discovered even with the + or - range setting of 10 degrees F, the controller allowed the temp to overshoot the target temperature. With the WSM at 135 degrees (just a few briquettes on charcoal) I set the target temp to 160 degrees, and the temperature climbed to 176. At that temp, I set the controller at 180 and the temp climbed to 193. Not good. At that point I shut it down. Maybe my expectations for the electronic gadget were too high?
My short experience with the WSM is that I can manage to control the temperature within a few degrees by adjusting the lower vents. My issue is that I find myself continually tweaking the vents to maintain the desired temperature.

I didn't know this was even available! If it's just a thermometer controlled blower I would expect a good deal of overshoot, even the better electric and gas smoker controllers will overshoot. So how does this work? I assume you shut down the vents and rely on the blower to feed the charcoal?

Reactions: forktender
I didn't know this was even available! If it's just a thermometer controlled blower I would expect a good deal of overshoot, even the better electric and gas smoker controllers will overshoot. So how does this work? I assume you shut down the vents and rely on the blower to feed the charcoal?
Exactly. I think it doesn’t really do anything that I can’t do. It doesn’t block the air - it’s just a fan that turns on and off.
When I control it manually, I can totally block the air or control how much enters the chamber.
I was hooked based on the glowing description. My error. It’s going back.

This!!!

Even your home oven over shoots 10-20 degrees unless you have a very high dollar oven.
Short spurts of higher temps is not going to hurt a thing, if that was the case pellet cookers would cook like sh!t and they don't.

Even with blocking the air, it takes time for the temps to settle in.
Do a trial run of 2 to 4 hours and tract the temps, my guess is it will even out once it settles in, I know my PartyQ takes a good hour to settle in, more with a heavy fuel load. The reason I got it was because I was tired of getting up to adjust dampers and fuel load on cooks over a few hours, and it works great for that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky