TBS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphed

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Beloit, OH
This is about 25 minutes after I put the pork butt into my ST140 and turned the unit to 225. It's prolly 40F, or less, here in NE Ohio.

I added about 1/8 cup each mesquite and pecan chips and about 1/2 cup of cherry chips onto the charred chips left over from last smoke (I think this insulates them and makes them burn slower). I also do not have a chip burning accessory screen.

I think I'll regret the mesquite, I haven't had much luck with it.

I may add some more chips after 3 hours. When it's cold like this I usually smoke about 6 hours and then transfer to a stainless steel steam table pan and cover tight with foil. Then into the oven at 200-225ish for the balance of 12 hours.

I made a vid of it with my phone, but don't know how to put it online or into a thread.

Comments appreciate...

ralphed

You could continue in the smoker at 225 for the entire time if you want. My brother has the same Smokin Tex and it is well insulated and and does not dry things out. He purchased a AMNPS last year and had to drill 2- 1/2" on holes in the floor to provide enough oxygen for it to burn right correctly. Now he can light his AMNPS and get 12 hours of smoke with pellets with out opening the door. He was frustrated at first at first but now that he has things Smokin Tex worked out, he loves it.

I do leave it in for the full smoke time in warmer weather. I occasionally get my butt moving early enough to get my butt in the smoker so it'll be done for dinner, but RA and cold mornings suck. I find myself doing more ribs and bird in the winter and less butt, 'cause I can start it late and finish it for dinner, but I sometimes make exceptions.

When I put it in a pan and oven it, it sits in the juice and some of the smoke flavor leaches out. This 10.5# butt had a lot more fat than I thought, so it had a mellower smoke flavor (from sitting in more juice), but it's still wonderful. I think a lot of people just like a bare hint of smoke flavor. I do it both ways depending on my mood.

This time I de-fatted the broth and will use it to cook something, maybe some turnip greens. I usually put a little in the bag when I portion and freeze it, bit this one is gonna feed me once or twice and make some neighbors happy so I have the pot liquor to play with.

I was going to keep the fat and use it to fry some carnitas or whatever they're called, out of the butt - but I tossed it without thinking. I guess I just have to do another real soon.

I thought about the amnps. See the red electric brinkman in the back of the photo? I'm gonna mod with that one. Right now I have a smoke pistol to mount to it. I bought it before I found the forums, or I would have bought the amnps instead.

Thanks for the reply,

ralphed

Looks good!

With TBS like that, you can smoke longer.  Takes time to determine how much smoke you and yours like on your food.

We like a lighter smoke, others like heavy smoke.

Also, I always bring my smoker up to temp before adding the meat.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky