TBS...old school (short and sweet)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've got an uncle that does a lot of rendezvous. As simple as it gets. Quite often sleep in a teepee. He makes his own arrow and axe heads and hunts black powder. They are out by St Louis area.
Thank you! And I apologize, was gonna reply earlier then got busy and skipped right over you. I suddenly just remembered that I hadn't responded to you. So does your uncle have a camp name? A nickname that he goes by, some names are given as by their trade, others are given for doing something stupid. We don't get that far away but have some retired friends that travel all over.

Ryan

I enjoyed your pics! Nothing better than a meal cooked over a fire!

Our neighbor has a new Doberman puppy named Leo. Leo is already huge and Leo loves us! What a great personality.

Every deer season, on opening day, we fry pork sausage, bacon, whatever on our wood stove in our barn. It is definitely cooking on a way more advanced contraption than what you have lol.
Thank you! And our woodstove in the wall tent is almost exactly like yours, no inserts on the top though. Works well for cooking on in really nasty weather! If you have a pic of Leo, I'd love to see it! What color is he? Kya is black, our 1st Dobie Angel was red. Kya's dad was white, and her mom was black...she has 9 siblings and her mom had all 4 colors of dobies... black, red, one blue, and one white one.

Ryan

With several trips to the vet, 6 semi loads of little pigs arrived (4000 head) , and trying to get set up and ready for the rendezvous...about forgot,

So she is on pills for that for the next three months. That's the main reason they wanted to study the eye,
Wow, what an ordeal for Kya and for the 2 of you also. It just rips me up when there is a problem with our pets.
Glad she is doing better, and they are monitoring her for awhile. It is funny how animals adapt to what ever happens. Like losing a limb or in Kya's case her eye. And she has her older brother to help her out also.

This is a very busy time of the year for you folks. But glad thinks worked out and you could still make it to the rendezvous
and a little time to relax and enjoy your time away from the madness.

Glad for you both and Kya

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
My son's (and dad) first Boy Scout Camporee was sponsored by the area Rendezvous group. Great memories.

Sorry about the pup. They adjust so much better than humans and shake it off.
A human would be on disability for life.

My son's (and dad) first Boy Scout Camporee was sponsored by the area Rendezvous group. Great memories.

Sorry about the pup. They adjust so much better than humans and shake it off.
A human would be on disability for life.
Thank you! The people we have met over the years at rendezvous are precious memories for sure! Some were like grandparents to our kids as they grew up. And yes Kya has adapted well already...she can still catch bits of steak fat and treats tossed her way. This was a little more stressful but our first Dobie lost her eye around age 1. She had a scar on top of her head between her ears...vet thinks her mom picked her up by her head instead of the scruff of her neck. It just turned cloudy and went away, don't remember any surgery for her at all, was never sewn shut. But she had a nose like no other! So this one will be fine!

Did you make it back home from down south?

Ryan

The rendezvous looks like a great time and what could be better than some good cooking and hanging with people you actually like :emoji_laughing:

Wow, what an ordeal for Kya! Hopefully she is doing well and dogs are pretty resilient. Our pup’s mother only had one eye that she got infected and lost in a hunting accident, you’d never know she lost it from the way she moved around.

Looks like a great time. And there is just something a wood fired meal. Glad the puppers is on the mend.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I appreciate it!

The rendezvous looks like a great time and what could be better than some good cooking and hanging with people you actually like :emoji_laughing:

Wow, what an ordeal for Kya! Hopefully she is doing well and dogs are pretty resilient. Our pup’s mother only had one eye that she got infected and lost in a hunting accident, you’d never know she lost it from the way she moved around.
Thanks Joe! She's definitely a trooper! Now when we get her harness out she knows she is taking a ride. Covid kinda caused that...no place to go to socialize and the only rides she took was to the vet for check ups or shots.

Ryan

Nice thread my friend! That looks fun and cooking over an open flame is tough to beat!

Glad your girl is on the mend!
Thanks Justin! I appreciate it! Sure do love the food off the fire...tastes so good!

Ryan

Did you make it back home from down south?
Got back to Minnesota about a month ago.
The past month sucked, too. Couple of heavy snows. River through town has crested above flood stage 5 times. The last crest (after 5" of rain) was near record. It was bad. I live well above the flood zone.
Wheat and sugar beets should be in the ground in April , but still over a week to go. Soybeans will be close to normal. We don't do corn.

Just epic Ryan! Oh and a huge hand to the wife!for working the fire pit while you play with your camera......lol!

Just epic Ryan! Oh and a huge hand to the wife!for working the fire pit while you play with your camera......lol!
Thank you very much! She loves to cook and even more so at rendezvous...if I told her no she'd beat me with a steel spatula!

Ryan

Reactions: civilsmoker
Wow Ryan that looks like a blast!
Great friends , family fun and fire pit cookin !
Glad Kya is bouncing back and congrats on the ride my friend !

Keith

Wow Ryan that looks like a blast!
Great friends , family fun and fire pit cookin !
Glad Kya is bouncing back and congrats on the ride my friend !

Keith
Thanks Keith! I appreciate it! She is doing better...her and our older dog sure enjoyed splitting the bone from our tomahawk steak we smoked on the GMG...pretty much why I bought it.

20220506_171958.jpg

Some of the seasoning on there was the steak seasoning you sent...really good!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
When I saw the pic of your camp, Ryan, I figured you've been at this for a while. But I sure never guessed 30 years. Fun times for all.
Glad to hear Kya is recovering. It won't be long til she doesn't even remember having 2 eye. Critters adapt real fast.
Gary
Thanks Gary, I appreciate it! Probably a little over 30 years...started going with my wife's dad when we were dating, daughter is gonna be 30 soon but born a month early and on a heart monitor for a few months so she didn't come with us full time for a year or so. Our son will soon be 23, he was 2 weeks old when he went to his first rendezvous. And yes, Kya has adapted well! She still likes hunting varmints with her older brother and gets a wiggly tail when she wants to play...makes me feel much better!

In a way rendezvous are kinda like this forum...started out being able to take a mid size 4 door car. We now have an 18 foot trailer to haul all our stuff! But we carry extra stuff in case others need something. And when young we slept on the ground, now we set up a queen size bed.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky