Tacos Al Pastor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Psmowrey

Original poster
Oct 29, 2019
Trying something I've never done before tomorrow....making traditional tacos Al Pastor on a horizontal rotisserie. I've already made my marinade and it tastes amazing, my mouth is watering just thinking about it right now. I will put the thinly sliced pork shoulder in the marinade tonight and let it marinate overnight for the cook tomorrow. I'm using my buddy's KUDU grill with the rotisserie attachment. I've never cooked on a rotisserie ever, so i am very excited about experimenting with that.

Have any of you cooked Al Pastor on a rotisserie before? If so, what do you think the cook time would be? I cut up about a 3 lb pork shoulder into 1/4" slices, so my guess is the stack will be about 10" long. I'll post pictures of the whole process and setup.

Any input will be helpful on this first time rotisserie adventure!

Marinade
1/3 C canned pineapple Juice
1/3 C Orange juice
1/4 C lime juice
4 dried Guajillo Chiles
1T dried oregano
1T cumin
3T Cider Vinegar
3T Olive Oil
1 T brown sugar
2 tsp salt
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 Onion - roasted
4 Cloves garlic peeled
2 T achiote paste

Toast Chile's, then re hydrate in water for 5 min. Add to blender with remaining ingredients then puree until smooth.

Don't have any insight on cook time, just wanted to say PLEASE post pics of this one--sounds amazing!

Can’t wait to see the final pictures! I love al pastor tacos.

I’ve never done them rotisserie style but it’s on my bucket list. Traditionally, the meat is shaved from the spit and the outside where it was cut from tends to char up again. So it‘s basically cooked by the time it’s cut to the center.

Since you’re using a fattier cut like pork shoulder, I would assume an IT of about 200ish or until it’s probe tender. Pork is safe to eat at 145F but it maybe chewier since the fat hasn’t rendered fully from the shoulder.

here is a thread from awhile back:

Can’t wait to see the final pictures! I love al pastor tacos.

I’ve never done them rotisserie style but it’s on my bucket list. Traditionally, the meat is shaved from the spit and the outside where it was cut from tends to char up again. So it‘s basically cooked by the time it’s cut to the center.

Since you’re using a fattier cut like pork shoulder, I would assume an IT of about 200ish or until it’s probe tender. Pork is safe to eat at 145F but it maybe chewier since the fat hasn’t rendered fully from the shoulder.

I know it is usually sliced/shaved off as it gets charred, but I'm doing mine horizontally and also trying to have it as a sit down meal instead of just a taco or two at a time. I was thinking closer to 200 as well so it isn't as chewy. The Kudu has a big plancha as well, so when i do finally slice it off, it it is undercooked in the dead center, we can throw it on the plancha really quick to finish it.

So I reached out to a chef who posted a picture on Instagram of him cooking Al Pastor on a KUDU grill rotisserie. He said he did 1.5 hours over indirect heat, then very hot direct heat to add crust at the end, then sliced off meat every few minutes so the crust kept forming. I'm very excited for tonight. I don't want to be at work right now!!!

I’m looking forward to it too! Take some pictures of the process.

Glad to hear the author/chef on IG got back to you on a rough time...But yeah, if you’re just shaving the meat off from the end, it will plenty cooked.

I've not done it on a rotisserie, but I have stacked it on a turkey fryer holder for an upright cook.

Smoked for an hour at 175, then Bumped up the temp up to 350 and cooked for another 2.5 hours spritzing with pineapple juice every 30 minutes.

It was pretty dang good!

Attachments

• 20180812_183106.jpg
    20180812_183106.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: Psmowrey
I've not done it on a rotisserie, but I have stacked it on a turkey fryer holder for an upright cook.

Smoked for an hour at 175, then Bumped up the temp up to 350 and cooked for another 2.5 hours spritzing with pineapple juice every 30 minutes.

It was pretty dang good!

That picture is making me hungry!! A few more hours at the office then I'll have my fire started and meat spinning!!

Alright! My tacos al pastor on the rotisserie was a huge success. And for anyone who has never used a KUDU grill, it is amazing, extremely versatile and fun to cook on. This one is my buddy’s but I will he purchasing on shortly.

The total cook time was probably close to 2.5 hours. We set up the rotisserie over medium high heat and let it go for about two hours. Once I could see that the meat was starting to develop some color and char spots, I lowered it over more direct heat and built up the coals. When it came time to slice off the first layer, we swung the cast iron under it and let the shaved meat fall right in there, which was very convenient and kept the shaved meat warm while we put the spit back over the heat. Once all was shaved off, I got the cast iron real hot and worked the meat around until I was sure it all had some crispness to it. Served on corn tortillas with grilled pineapple, cilantro and onions. I will definitely be doing this again. Check out my pictures below of the process!

Attachments

• 5E1348F4-8EE3-4DB8-8659-DDD88DF0F4E8.jpeg
    5E1348F4-8EE3-4DB8-8659-DDD88DF0F4E8.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 99
  • B37DA9FA-BEA1-4EB5-B139-4B16BD28C0F1.jpeg
    B37DA9FA-BEA1-4EB5-B139-4B16BD28C0F1.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 5596664B-03AB-496D-A9CB-1275092071CA.jpeg
    5596664B-03AB-496D-A9CB-1275092071CA.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 877ED9A3-5C34-49D5-B6D3-C2FBB3802823.jpeg
    877ED9A3-5C34-49D5-B6D3-C2FBB3802823.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 88
  • F35F5BF7-CA00-4A0B-834A-CD95874A2ECE.jpeg
    F35F5BF7-CA00-4A0B-834A-CD95874A2ECE.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 86
  • FDADB567-D341-4474-86C2-F156AFB1E744.jpeg
    FDADB567-D341-4474-86C2-F156AFB1E744.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 84
  • F338F9B1-1F16-45CD-966F-9F0E7D0FFB79.jpeg
    F338F9B1-1F16-45CD-966F-9F0E7D0FFB79.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Inscrutable
I didn’t see this until after the fact, was curious to see how this would turn out, and glad it was great.

I was going to advise/caution something ... raw pineapple contains a powerful digestive enzyme (bromelain) that is responsible for a potent tenderizing effect (so you would only want to marinate for 3 or 4 hours ... longer turns the meat to mush). But your saving grace is that processed pineapple (canned pineapple or juice) destroys or at least significantly reduces that enzyme, and tenderizing power. So your slices held their texture.

I have done this with raw pineapple, but marinated a whole butt (Not small pieces/slices) and came out as great flavored pulled pork.

I didn’t see this until after the fact, was curious to see how this would turn out, and glad it was great.

I was going to advise/caution something ... raw pineapple contains a powerful digestive enzyme (bromelain) that is responsible for a potent tenderizing effect (so you would only want to marinate for 3 or 4 hours ... longer turns the meat to mush). But your saving grace is that processed pineapple (canned pineapple or juice) destroys or at least significantly reduces that enzyme, and tenderizing power. So your slices held their texture.

I have done this with raw pineapple, but marinated a whole butt (Not small pieces/slices) and came out as great flavored pulled pork.

I had read not to use fresh pineapple in several recipes. I was worried the longer marinade time even with the canned juice might have that bad affect but it turned out fine.

Yeah, there’s little if any in the processed pineapple/juice. I use fresh, but shorten the duration.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky