Table top portable smoking grills like Traeger Ranger & Pit Boss Portable

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wayoung

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm currently in an apartment and while I'll be buying soon the smoker I want isn't available in Canada (Lockhart). And even if I buy in the next couple weeks I won't be moving until the summer is pretty much over.

I was thinking about picking up one of the portable ones mentioned in the title - I live alone now so don't need to do big batches of meat and this way I also have something portable to bring when I go to friends places/traveling.

Does anyone have these? Is it worth the extra $200 to go for the Traeger vs the Pitboss? For the portable that seems a big premium. Is their anyway to collect juices with these? With my masterbuilt verticals I just put a bbq tray on a shelf underneath to collect all the drip but with this that doesn't seem an option. Do you have to cook brisket/butts in a pan? Does it get enough smoke on them in a pan? I'd guess it's be like doing them with a smoke box on a bbq - you'd have to keep rotating them.

I have the ASmoke 300 which I believe is almost exactly like the Pit Boss you are looking at. The firepot is in the middle of the grill and there is a metal deflector that goes over it. The deflector is two pieces so you can slide it open for direct grilling. It is also angled towards the right side of the grill with channels on the sides for the grease. The little cup you see on the end of the grill is where the drippings are collected.

I think it is a neat little booger and it was worth the $150 I paid for it during the crowdfunding campaign. You can have a bunch of fun with it, but you won't be smoking packers and you will have to cut rib racks in half.

Reactions: wayoung
I have the ASmoke 300 which I believe is almost exactly like the Pit Boss you are looking at. The firepot is in the middle of the grill and there is a metal deflector that goes over it. The deflector is two pieces so you can slide it open for direct grilling. It is also angled towards the right side of the grill with channels on the sides for the grease. The little cup you see on the end of the grill is where the drippings are collected.

I think it is a neat little booger and it was worth the $150 I paid for it during the crowdfunding campaign. You can have a bunch of fun with it, but you won't be smoking packers and you will have to cut rib racks in half.

Thanks for replying!

I live alone in an apartment I'm not cooking packers anyway. When I buy one I end up slicing it into quarters lengthwise for cooking at a friend's.

I ended up ordering the Traeger. The $170 difference is a lot but from the reviews it's just a better machine. Insurance is paying for most of it anyway and so why not, I'll splurge. And maybe I'll like it so much I'll have to stick to Traeger when I get my new house.

They have pretty significant temp swings versus a full size cooker. Pellet burners struggle to run low and slow and the cook chamber on these portable units is undersized. Expect 50F swings.

If you're dead set on one, the Pit Boss will likely run a bit better as it's 30% larger.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky