Switch to electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akamarcus

Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Should I switch from my Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone WiFi to an electric smoker?

Supposing all I use it for is smoking meat (i.e. do not need high heat option), how is a pellet grill superior to an electric smoker?
I've never tried meat smoked in an electric smoker, but from what I have heard, they produce plenty of smoke, the startup cost is about 1/3 that of a pellet grill, and the cost to run is 1/100 because pellets are such an inefficient way of producing heat (even though I bulk-purchased Lumberjack pellets at ~$15/40 lb bag) compared to an electric heating element that would cost pennies per hour. My first smoke cost me $6 (17 lbs in pellets) because outside temps were ~30 F. The cost to run an electric smoker during that same time would have been $0.84 given a 1000 W heating element and a 12-hour cook time.

Even considering GMG's other features like the meat probe, automatic shutoff at target temp, mobile phone monitors/controls; but I have found those features to be less-than reliable at best. I would easily survive without them if I had an electric smoker.

I guess I'm just thinking that if I'm going to leave a brisket in the smoker for 14 hours and not mess with it, won't an electric smoker do the job just as well as the pellet grill at a fraction of the cost (both startup and maintenance)?

My considerations:
Green Mountain Grill Daniel BooneElectric Smoker (MES 40?)
Amount of smoke producedA lotEnough?
Heat sourcePelletsElectric heating element
Cost to run$0.35 / lb$0.07 / kWh
Smoke profileSlight?
Initial Cost$600$200

I had a "Smokin-It" electric smoker. The thing was about as awesome as an electric smoker is going to get on the residential side. You have to weigh your wood chunks because it would easily over-smoke a piece of meat. Only downside I had was it didn't make crisp chicken skin. You also didn't get a real smoke ring and bark was hit or miss.

I have a mes 30 and a pitboss 1000 pellet grill, I would say neither is superior to the other yes the pellet is more versatile but I added a smoke tube to get more smoke flavor, I use the amnps tray with mailbox with the mes I get about 10 hours of continuous smoke when needed. yeah you don't get the smoke ring but that does nothing for flavor. so if you just want it for smoking meats in my opinion you won't go wrong with electric.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I can't comment on anything pellet related, but I can say that I cannot fit a packer brisket on my MES.
That’s what I thought till my son-in-law stuffed a large brisket in my little MES 30. He just grabbed it and squeezed it in. The brisket was tight against both sides and the back, the corners were free, so much for allowing airflow around the racks. As cooking progressed the brisket did pull away from the sides as it shrank. One heck of a mess to clean but the brisket turned out excellent.

Reactions: ShakingHorizons
The cost to run an electric smoker during that same time would have been $0.84 given a 1000 W heating element and a 12-hour cook time.

Wow, where do you live that it's still only $0.07/kwh? I'm paying around $0.45!

I can't comment on anything pellet related, but I can say that I cannot fit a packer brisket on my MES.

This was one of the big reasons I "upgraded" from a MES30 to a GMG DB WiFi. I can now get an entire packer brisket on my GMG DB with room to spare. It's not as care-free as my MES30 and I've had lots of issues plus it's a lot more expensive to operate and takes up more space but I still prefer my GMG DB. The WiFi functionality, while not perfect, is still preferred over no WiFi. I just wish they'd push that feature forward in a big way as it's still leaving a lot to be desired and I feel that between the limited WiFi functionality and the price tag I didn't get as much value for my money considering the price tag.

In North Texas, electric utilities were de-regulated, so dozens of service providers compete for your business. It's fortunate when I'm drawing 2000 kWh per month in the summer in order to run the AC.

I think the key is in the name. Green Mountain GRILL. And SMOKIN-IT electric smoker.
They both have a place, and I have one of each. But if forced to give up on one or the other, I would give up the pellet grill.

Last edited:
I have access to just about every wood available for smoking food so that is Free. Pellets cost money so the SmokinTex was the best option for me. It only needs 2 to 3 ounces of wood to smoke flavor anything so I don't need bags of wood or pellets taking up space.

Since my main gripe about pellet grills compared to electric smokers is price-to-performance (in terms of smoke flavor), I can't justify switching from a $600 pellet grill to a $700+ cabinet smoker.

What measurable differences are there in an MES 40, for example, compared to a Smokin-it or SmokinTex electric smoker that could justify the price discrepancy?

Since they are both cabinet-style electric smokers, should the MES not achieve 80-90% of the results of the more expensive smokers?

I easily fit full packer briskets in my MES40. I use the AMNPS to generate smoke. 20 lb bags of pellets last forever and I can get them for $8.99 for a 20 lb bag at Rural King. The only knock I have against it is you cant get the high heat needed for poultry but if you don't mind using an oven broiler to get crisp skin I say you cant go wrong with the switch.

However this is not a knock against pellet grills! Have seen a ton of good food come them on this forum and they easily have their place. Just a personal preference and need thing.

I think the key is in the name. Green Mountain GRILL. And SMOKIN-IT electric smoker.
They both have a place, and I have one of each. But if forced to give up on one or the other, I would give up the pellet grill.

Pellet grills are just poorly named. They are absolutely a smoker first.

Reactions: jmtyndall
I love my 40" mes, love my pellet smoker, you can do a lot lower temps with the electric like sausages and such,40" can fit a lot of meat on them imo. having different cookers to keep from getting bored with food works well for me. will always have a bunch of ways to cook. ymmv

Reactions: chopsaw
I have an MES 40 and a Pit Boss 1000SC. I use them both and like what each of them can do. If I need something with a bark on it I stick to the Pit Boss as it seems the MES retains more moisture. If I am doing a ham or pork shoulder I usually use the MES. Brisket or poultry I tend to use the Pit Boss. Again just my opinion and we all know what those are like!

Should I switch from my Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone WiFi to an electric smoker?

Supposing all I use it for is smoking meat (i.e. do not need high heat option), how is a pellet grill superior to an electric smoker?
I've never tried meat smoked in an electric smoker, but from what I have heard, they produce plenty of smoke, the startup cost is about 1/3 that of a pellet grill, and the cost to run is 1/100 because pellets are such an inefficient way of producing heat (even though I bulk-purchased Lumberjack pellets at ~$15/40 lb bag) compared to an electric heating element that would cost pennies per hour. My first smoke cost me $6 (17 lbs in pellets) because outside temps were ~30 F. The cost to run an electric smoker during that same time would have been $0.84 given a 1000 W heating element and a 12-hour cook time.

Even considering GMG's other features like the meat probe, automatic shutoff at target temp, mobile phone monitors/controls; but I have found those features to be less-than reliable at best. I would easily survive without them if I had an electric smoker.

I guess I'm just thinking that if I'm going to leave a brisket in the smoker for 14 hours and not mess with it, won't an electric smoker do the job just as well as the pellet grill at a fraction of the cost (both startup and maintenance)?

My considerations:
Green Mountain Grill Daniel BooneElectric Smoker (MES 40?)
Amount of smoke producedA lotEnough?
Heat sourcePelletsElectric heating element
Cost to run$0.35 / lb$0.07 / kWh
Smoke profileSlight?
Initial Cost$600$200

Sounds like you've made up your mind but if you haven't then do some research on Youtube and probably in some thread here. IMO you will never be happy with an electric heat source. They are cheap for a reason. You will never get as much smoke and no where near as much bark as you would get on an offset charcoal/stick burner. I'd suggest an Oklahoma Joe Highlander or Longhorn. The results are amazing. I hesitate to even name an electric as a true smoker. It will cook just fine but don't expect to be pleased with the amount of smoke and bark on the meat.

My 30 turns out fantastic smoked meats and sausages . I do have a Auber pid on it , with a mail box mod . Higher temp cooks I use wood chunks on the element . Great smoke flavor . It has it's place , but like Mike said above , I also have options .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Since my main gripe about pellet grills compared to electric smokers is price-to-performance (in terms of smoke flavor), I can't justify switching from a $600 pellet grill to a $700+ cabinet smoker.

What measurable differences are there in an MES 40, for example, compared to a Smokin-it or SmokinTex electric smoker that could justify the price discrepancy?

Since they are both cabinet-style electric smokers, should the MES not achieve 80-90% of the results of the more expensive smokers?

Hi there and welcome!

The main difference I see (according to website info) between the MES 40 and the comparable size Smokin-It is that the smokin-it comes with a PID controller. Also the Smokin-it is built way more sturdy and better, though the MES is not built badly

Now if you bought a used MES40 off craiglist for like $40-50, do the simple rewire job, and use a PID then you will majorly upgrading the MES40. In the Dallas area I have personally purchased 2 units in the $40-50 range for family members so it happens more often than you think AND if you rewire it doesn't have to be running so well since you will just fix it up and bypass the onboard stuff yourself!

I even swapped the safety cutoff switch for a higher temp one so I could do fast poultry smokes at 325F. With everything else I don't go over 275F, and my PID holds within 2 degrees of set temp with no issue at all.

If you want to you can turn an MES40 in unit that performs super amazingly and paired with the AMNPS tray you will be unstopable!

I can't give you much insight on pellet grills other than I don't care for the fundamental issue that the wood pellets are both the heat source and the smoke source. The higher the heat the less smoke is produced.... I like being able to control both independently AND I like electric heating vs wood pellet burning since I pay my electric bill and I never run out of electricity for a low cost :)

Oh and I can run 14-15 pounds of brisket on a single rack of my MES40 with no problem :)

I hope this info helps you some!

tallbm tallbm Where can I get more details on this MES 40 PID mod? I am interested in potentially making the switch, but if it can be done for ~ $100, I might as well try it while I have my pellet grill and sell it if it doesn't work out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky