1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SWEET HEAT DEER SAUSAGE

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by Hawging It, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Well, the processor finished all of the deer meat I delivered to him from the past season. I always like the sausage he makes. Now I have 50 pounds of fresh link deer sausage. Sweet Heat! Jalapeno/cheese/pineapple. Liked it so much last year that I got the same this year. Plenty of sausage dogs in our future as well as fresh back straps and tenderloins. SWEET HEAT.jpg

Misplaced Nebraskan likes this.
  2. Misplaced Nebraskan

Misplaced Nebraskan Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a great combo of flavors right there! How prevalent is the pineapple? I do some jalapeno and cheese already and that sounds like a great addition. Do you know if it's just juice added or how they do it?

3. Actual crushed pineapple pieces. You can taste the sweet pineapple and smell it as well. Good stuff!

4. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Curious as to how much he charges for the meat you got?

5. Misplaced Nebraskan

Excellent. That sounds real good. May have to try that on a small batch next time. Thanks!

6. indaswamp

beware: do not add raw pineapple to your sausage or the meat will turn to mush. Pineapple contains the enzyme Bromelain that is used to make meat tenderizer. You must use canned pineapple that has been heat treated which neutralizes the enzyme.

7. Misplaced Nebraskan

Excellent point. Was about to go research that very interaction. Saves me some time. Thank you.

8. indaswamp

You can buy a fresh pineapple and simmer the flesh to use. Also be aware that pineapple has a pH of around 3.5~4 and sausage meat paste will not bind if the meat paste pH is below about pH 5.4...

9. Don't know how they make it. Don't know if its raw or not. I can tell you it AIN'T mushy. All I know is that it is the best deer sausage I have had in many years. They make all kinds however, the sweet heat is our favorite.

10. Misplaced Nebraskan

lot more to adding this pineapple than I thought. Much appreciated. Wonder if freeze dried chunks would hydrate back enough during cooking?

Sorry for the redirect @Hawging It

11. Call them. Number is visible on the package. It's all according what you want them to do for you. They are a complete professional wild game outfit. Been there for many years and trustworthy folks. Super clean in their shop. They do not skin or gut wild game. Bring in you boned out deer meat or they will bone out for you. No rib cavities allowed. I skin and gut my deer then pull the back straps and tenderloins. I process those myself. I take them the 2 shoulders and 2 hind quarters. They bone em out and make sausage links. They make awesome jerky and summer sausage as well. You will not be disappointed. Very professional and friendly folks. Glad we have a place like this close by. Give em a shout.

12. No sweat!

13. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds great Hawging It

Warren

14. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a good mixture.

15. They make all different kinds but we prefer the Jalapeno/Pineapple/Cheese. Sweet Heat!