Sweet heat bacon jam.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It needs to be in the fridge. Hope you like it!

Thank you. I kinda made that determination. Truth be told I'll probably freeze some of it because I don't think we will go through a half gallon in a month or less. Tracy should be home from the store shortly with the few things I need to round out the recipe than it's off to the races!! I'll let you know how it turns out a bit later.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
Steve that’s some fine work right there!! So how hot is Roberts XXX pepper powder blend on a 1 -10 scale

Steve that’s some fine work right there!! So how hot is Roberts XXX pepper powder blend on a 1 -10 scale

This is not a blend or anything I grew. There is a little specialty spice shop in Wichita that carries a lot of exotic spices and I bought it there...along with a few other goodies.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Well Steve, I went and did it. Just wrapped up a batch a few minutes ago. It was far easier and faster to make than I originally thought it would be....and it is absolutely incredible!! Just love the sweet from the brown sugar & maple syrup, the bitter from the vinegar, and the salty from the bacon. OMG...what an amazing combination of flavors. I did not have the XXX cayenne due to a brain fart so I used my hot pepper spice mix that's been in the works forever. It wound up taking 1 T to get a nice little spice tingle but that'd about what I figured. Although far more complex in flavor, my spice mix does not have the outright heat that the cayenne you used has. I also didn't get the yield that you did. Only 3 pints but that's OK. Well worth the time, that's for sure!! Matter of fact, it's so good I'm thinking about making another batch tomorrow to share with friends. This is WAY too good not to share, and thank you my friend for sharing the recipe and the step-by-step.

003.jpg

Being that I just love crushed red pepper, I'm thinking I may put some of that in the next one.

Robert

It's pretty darn warm. I'd give her a solid 6. This isn't his blend though. It was stuff he picked up while on a road trip.
Ghost pepper is a 10 to me. Reaper, we won't discuss.....

Well Steve, I went and did it. Just wrapped up a batch a few minutes ago. It was far easier and faster to make than I originally thought it would be....and it is absolutely incredible!! Just love the sweet from the brown sugar & maple syrup, the bitter from the vinegar, and the salty from the bacon. OMG...what an amazing combination of flavors. I did not have the XXX cayenne due to a brain fart so I used my hot pepper spice mix that's been in the works forever. It wound up taking 1 T to get a nice little spice tingle but that'd about what I figured. Although far more complex in flavor, my spice mix does not have the outright heat that the cayenne you used has. I also didn't get the yield that you did. Only 3 pints but that's OK. Well worth the time, that's for sure!! Matter of fact, it's so good I'm thinking about making another batch tomorrow to share with friends. This is WAY too good not to share, and thank you my friend for sharing the recipe and the step-by-step.

View attachment 426881

Being that I just love crushed red pepper, I'm thinking I may put some of that in the next one.

Robert

Man, that looks good! I should have put that pack of cayenne in the box I sent you, didn't think about it at the time. That cayenne is perfect for this . A nice smoky, sweet heat. My next batch will have slightly less cayenne. And a touch more vinegar. After it sat. The cayenne really woke up!

You have add Maple Sugar in the instructions but not the amount in the ingredients list.

Not being picky here, but you also didn't mention at what point to add the chili powder. I just put it in along with all the rest of the stuff after the onions and shallots had caramelized. Don't know if that was right but it worked. The stuff is amazing!!

Robert

This jam is good on burgers, BLTs, crackers, in grilled cheese sandwiches, roasted potatoes,etc, etc. Not to mention just sneaking in the kitchen. And getting a spoonful....

Here ya go Steve. This was fun and incredibly good!! A ham, egg, cheddar cheese, and bacon jam breakfast sammie. These will get done again real soon!!
03.jpg

Just a simple WOW!! That's all :emoji_astonished:
Robert

Reactions: jcam222 and Steve H
P.S. I took a small Tupperware tub of the bacon jam to my little pub yesterday afternoon along with some club crackers. It was gone in about 3 minutes and people were fighting over who got to lick the tub. Less than 24 hours and we have already gone through one pint of it. Down to 2 pints now and really need to get another batch going ASAP. This is not gonna last long.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222 and Steve H
P.S. I took a small Tupperware tub of the bacon jam to my little pub yesterday afternoon along with some club crackers. It was gone in about 3 minutes and people were fighting over who got to lick the tub. Less than 24 hours and we have already gone through one pint of it. Down to 2 pints now and really need to get another batch going ASAP. This is not gonna last long.

Robert

The sandwich looks very good. That's how I like as well. On club crackers. Try it with tomatoes and mayo, or miracle whip on toast. Also in a grilled cheese sandwich.

Not being picky here, but you also didn't mention at what point to add the chili powder. I just put it in along with all the rest of the stuff after the onions and shallots had caramelized. Don't know if that was right but it worked. The stuff is amazing!!

Robert

I added it while it was all together and starting to cook down. Felt it wiser so I could keep a eye on the heat!

Reactions: jcam222
I have to get some ingredients for this. . . Soon !
Edit:
And I finally did as I was intrigued by this.
Getting the bacon all fried up .I
20200117_101952.jpg

All ingredients mixed in and simmering.
20200117_121139.jpg

Jarred and vacuum sealed.
20200117_134437.jpg

Darn is it ever good. I know it won't last long. I did go with the 1 1/2 tsp cayenne, which the wife says is plenty for her. Next batch I will jar half and then add a bit more for my liking.
Thanks Steve. . .

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. I got to thinking about making up some bacon jam after seeing a few threads in the regard. And I had a idea to give it a twist.

View attachment 426105

This will call for:
3 pounds thick cut bacon cut up.
3 sweet onions. Finely diced
8 shallots minced
4 gloves of garlic minced
1.5 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup Maple syrup
3 tsp chili powder
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp xxx Cayenne pepper. Received from Robert tx smoker tx smoker

View attachment 426106

Cook bacon and drain on a paper towel. Drain bacon grease from pot. Reserve about 3 Tbs in pot.

View attachment 426107

Add onions and shallots to pot. And cook on medium until caramelized. About 20 minutes.

View attachment 426108

When onions are done. Add the:
bacon
brown sugar
garlic
maple syrup
vinegar.
Bring to simmer. Then put on low for 30 minutes until the liquid reduces.
Now for the heat. I first added 1 tsp of the XXX cayenne. Waited 5 minutes. And tasted. Yup, there is heat. But not quite enough.
Added another tsp. Waited 5 minutes. Oh boy. Now there is warmth. Very nice with the sweet and smokey flavors.
Cooled and jarred with some semi-fancy pint mason jars.
I got just shy of 4 pints.

View attachment 426109

View attachment 426110

I like homemade bacon jam much more then store bought. The store bought always tastes fake. I think from them adding liquid smoke or something.
Steve H Steve H

Hey Steve, do me a favor and type XXX cayenne into your search engine and click on images.
Hell, I'd put that on my toast any day. LMAO!!!

I'm going to make this soon, thanks for the recipe, it looks great........but not as good as the stuff Google images came up with when I did a search for the XXX cayenne . LOL!!!

• Haha
Steve H Steve H

Hey Steve, do me a favor and type XXX cayenne into your search engine and click on images.
Hell, I'd put that on my toast any day. LMAO!!!

I'm going to make this soon, thanks for the recipe, it looks great........but not as good as the stuff Google images came up with when I did a search for the XXX cayenne . LOL!!!

And you know I just had to try that! Um, I see your point!!

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
My wife was like what are you laughing at...me.... oh, nothing honey.
Not like she would care, she knows me way to well.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky