Sweet Bread Starter Hamburger Buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Needed to revive my starter so made a batch of hamburger buns.

Waiting to get proofed.
20231008_092224.jpg

One dozen buns out of the oven.
20231009_080227.jpg

Had left over dough and froze some for later when needed. Just thaw and let them rise and bake like normal.

Last edited:
Wow those look great! I dont use my starter much anymore but found it can go months and come back to life within hours of feeding again.
Yes I have left mine in the back of the fridge for almost a year and after two feedings it came back to full strength. I also have lots dehydrated in the freezer as a back up. :)

Yes I have left mine in the back of the fridge for almost a year and after two feedings it came back to full strength. I also have lots dehydrated in the freezer as a back up. :)
Well now....I have one in the refrigerator I let go after forgetting about it. Been 6 months. I'll try to revive it.

Well now....I have one in the refrigerator I let go after forgetting about it. Been 6 months. I'll try to revive it.
I really don't think you can really kill a starter unless you use to hot of water to revive it. They say 110 F is max. I use a lot lower like 95-100 F just to be safe.
I also find patients is needed on old starter. Sometimes it takes several feedings. If you see any kind of action, small bubbles then it will take off down the line.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky