Sweet Bourbon Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I've been looking for a recipe like this and really couldn't find one that jumped out at me so I kind of made my own by combining a couple of different ones.

Here it is...
  • 7½ lbs. sliced eye-of-round. I sliced this with a knife about ¼" thick
  • ½ cup bourbon
  • ⅔ cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 4 T dijon mustard
  • 3 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 T honey
  • 2-3 T chopped red onion. Didn't really measure
  • 1 chopped shallot...only because I had it and needed to get rid of it
  • 3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
  • 2 T course ground black pepper
  • 1¾ t cure #1
Into a bowl in the fridge for 24 hours. We'll see tomorrow evening sometime, I just hope I didn't screw up some nice meat...
20230204_090751[1].jpg

Looks interesting. I've been looking at bourbon jerky recipes lately so this is timely. I've done garlic often, but never red onion. In fact, I just picked up a few sale priced top rounds at Kroger for the very purpose of jerky. I'm in to see how his turns out.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I'm in for the finish!
And be honest... you're wondering how a crock pot full would taste!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I've been looking for a recipe like this and really couldn't find one that jumped out at me so I kind of made my own by combining a couple of different ones.

Here it is...
  • 7½ lbs. sliced eye-of-round. I sliced this with a knife about ¼" thick
  • ½ cup bourbon
  • ⅔ cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 4 T dijon mustard
  • 3 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 T honey
  • 2-3 T chopped red onion. Didn't really measure
  • 1 chopped shallot...only because I had it and needed to get rid of it
  • 3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
  • 2 T course ground black pepper
  • 1¾ t cure #1
Into a bowl in the fridge for 24 hours. We'll see tomorrow evening sometime, I just hope I didn't screw up some nice meat...
View attachment 656888

How did it turn out?

Been busy the last few days and haven't gotten back to report on the jerky...
20230206_190930[1].jpg

20230206_191021[1].jpg

7½ lbs. of meat yielded about 4½ lbs. of jerky. It was sweet and the bourbon taste and smell really came through. Everyone has loved it. Next time I may substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar just to see. My next batch, though, is going to be a sweet heat variety...

Thank you all for sticking around and I apologize for not updating this sooner...

Great to hear you could taste the bourbon.
Honestly Sven, I think I could smell it better than I could taste it, but sometimes my "taster" doesn't work all that well. Several friends and family members said the taste really came through. It was a 48 hour soak in the marinade...

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That's some nice looking stuff Charles. I've been using pretty much the same recipe for over 30 years. It's just a basic but super flavorful "recipe" but it's been a mainstay for a long time and folks love it. I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to try something different on my next batch, which will be within the next week or so. I might very well give this a shot. Not really into sweet stuff like teriyaki, which I tried a couple times and tossed. Your recipe sounds REALLY good.

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky