• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sweet and Spicy Mustard

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 21, 2015
This is a family favorite, especially my dad. He puts it on brats, pork chops, sandwiches, etc. Or my favorite, as a dipping sauce with pretzels while drinking beer. Every time I go home he asks me to bring mustard, so I decided to make him a big batch for Christmas.

Recipe:

14 Oz yellow mustard
16 oz pickled jalapeños (chop in food processor)
16 Oz banana peppers (chop in food processor)
3 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt

Combine above ingredients and bring to a boil. This recipe makes 3-4 pints. I made a double batch this time.

In the meantime get your jars ready.

When mustard comes to a boil, in a separate pan combine 3 cups water and 3/4 cup flour to make a rue. Stir out all the lumps and when this thickens add to the mustard and peppers mixture.

Then place in jars and process.

Last edited:

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Thanks....    I think I'll make some.....   Do you brown the flour first in some sort of fat ?? or just cook up in the water ??     have you used beer for the liquid ??  Is it processed in a pressure canner or water bath....

Last edited:

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 21, 2015
Thanks....    I think I'll make some.....   Do you brown the flour first in some sort of fat ?? or just cook up in the water ??     have you used beer for the liquid ??  
I just put the flour in water, and stit well. Once it heats up a bit it will start to thicken. That is when I stir it into the mustard.

I have not tried beer in the recipe. I usually stick to drinking the beer, but that is a good idea.

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 21, 2015
Thanks....    I think I'll make some.....   Do you brown the flour first in some sort of fat ?? or just cook up in the water ??     have you used beer for the liquid ??  Is it processed in a pressure canner or water bath....
Btw, I'm not sure if you've ever had boudan, but a local tavern here has something called boudan balls. It's basically a mixture of rice, pork, and spices, fried in a ball. This mustard is similar to what they use as a dipping sauce.

I also like this mustard for dipping fried fish in, and these fish fritters I make. It's like a hush puppy with fish, and some other ingredients. I guess I will have to post that recipe soon so you can try it.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Yea, that sounds great. Gonna try to make some.

Thanks.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That sounds really good!

Thanks for sharing!

Al

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
Man that sounds good. Am going to mak some, thanks

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the recipe, I'll try this

redheelerdog

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 4, 2011
Ummm, this looks and sounds mighty tasty. Thanks for sharing and happy holidays.

redheelerdog

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 4, 2011
Ummm, this looks and sounds mighty tasty. Thanks for sharing and happy holidays.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
Thx. for the recipe post going to make this.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.