Swamp & Turf - early V day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Hey all, last night during the game I was asked to cook our valentines dinner. This year was a bit different. The Swamp and Turf menu was garlic rubbed ribeye, frog legs in white wine cream sauce and mushroom risotto. I will post the recipe and pics below. Thanks for looking!

The garlic rubbed ribeye is pretty easy and how I do most of my steaks these days. I will crush several cloves of garlic and rub the steaks down then season with my favorite seasonings. Angelos steak pit seasoning from Panama city fla, and hard-core carnivore black. Then they hit a screaming hot acorn grill for 3 minutes per side. Rest for 10 minutes minimum to redistribute juices.

20220213_193138.jpg

20220213_195707.jpg

Next up is the white truffle and mushroom risotto. I'll show you my favorite brand and we usually get it at Publix. It is porcini mushroom based bit I added some sautéed shallots and garlic and a container of suitable, porcine, crimini, and oyster mushrooms into the mix. Add this to 5 cups of your choice of water or broth, cover and simmer for 18 mins. Let sit for 3 minutes then fluff the risotto and hit with some white truffle oil.

20220213_184713.jpg

20220213_192312.jpg

Next up is the Swamp component. LA frog legs in a white wine cream sauce. I made a simple dredge with some AP flour, old bay, salt, pepper and garlic. Dredged lightly then fried on 340 until they began lightly brown. For the sauce, I sautéed some shallots and garlic then declared the pan with white wine. I added a stick of butter and a cup of creme followed by the juice and zest of 1 lemon. I let this reduce until very slightly thickened. Once it thickened up slightly I added the fried frog legs and simmered them covered in the sauce for 5 minutes or so then garnished with some fresh cilantro.

20220213_191026.jpg

20220213_192321.jpg

20220213_193123.jpg

20220213_193819.jpg

20220213_195926.jpg

My wife and all the kids devoured it. Yeah it was a day early but we do that with Christmas presents too. That's just how we roll. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Gee that all looks good enough to eat...which I would have done...just saying...
Haven't had legs for a bit...last time marinated and basted in a white wine concoction, over the coals on the kettle.
That sounds amazing! I need to try them that way.

Reactions: kit s
Man, that looks incredible! There isn't one part of that plate that's not a home run! Id love to try frog legs that way, Ive only had them a few times and they had a Cajun rub, which wasn't bad, but definitely not elevated like this! Great work!

Man, that looks incredible! There isn't one part of that plate that's not a home run! Id love to try frog legs that way, Ive only had them a few times and they had a Cajun rub, which wasn't bad, but definitely not elevated like this! Great work!
Thanks! I would definitely recommend trying them this way some time. I discovered the method at a local restaurant here but it was highly seasonal so I usually miss them.

Ok that gives the term "nice legs" on valentines a new meaning for sure......LOL I use to cook a lot of those way back when I worked in a kitchen!

Nice plate for sure! We did our valentines dinner last night too.

Ok that gives the term "nice legs" on valentines a new meaning for sure......LOL I use to cook a lot of those way back when I worked in a kitchen!

Nice plate for sure! We did our valentines dinner last night too.
Lol!! That's funny and true! Thanks!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Nice blend of foods, and sounds like it was a big hit with the whole family,
That's what it is all about:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

David
Yes for sure, we definitely all enjoyed it. We have one going off to college in a few months so I have to squeeze as much as I can with all of them

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Incredible meal! Love the term swamp and surf!! It’s been a long time since I’ve had frog legs and never in such an elevated meal.

Nice meal for sure! We tear up some frog legs around here. Nice work on yours!!

Incredible meal! Love the term swamp and surf!! It’s been a long time since I’ve had frog legs and never in such an elevated meal.
My oldest son helped me think it up. Definitely worth a try if you get your hands on some frog. Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: jcam222
I was asked to cook our valentines dinner.

It is a plot.

I was even tricked into cooking my own birthday dinner. "Want to buy a smoker? Go ahead. Need some tools? Fine with me."

Hook, line, and sinker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky