SV - Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
Just sliced up some pastrami for shabbas lunch

. 52F67D4C-777A-4452-9775-D27DC345BCFE.jpeg

CF448F33-C242-4F16-AEEF-57C7830778C8.jpeg

27D890E5-8921-4E6B-8409-0561D8D4EEFF.jpeg

Cooker, looks real good.... and sliced nicely! Any details on cooking? SV temperature and timing? Did you smoked first and then smoked? Just curious because Pastrami made this way is not on my list to cook i February..... :emoji_wink: Thanks in advance!

Cooker, looks real good.... and sliced nicely! Any details on cooking? SV temperature and timing? Did you smoked first and then smoked? Just curious because Pastrami made this way is not on my list to cook i February..... :emoji_wink: Thanks in advance!
After I corned the beef, soaked, and re-spiced, it was time for cooking. Traditionally pastrami is lightly smoked then steamed until cooked through. So, I smoked it first, for about 3 hrs or so at 225 to 230 degrees. Then I gave it a swim at 151 degrees for about 30 hrs. After cooling down, tossed it in the fridge overnight before slicing.

cooler, I got it and thank yo u for the respond. Only one thing I am confuse on is you gave it a "swim". Did you leave your pastrami in the water at 151 degree? I am sorry for not being familiar with this terminology... I am still learning... :emoji_wink:
I put it in sous vide after vacuum packing it.

Very nice looking pastrami! I keep seeing everyone posting long cooks with lower temps on pastrami and corned beef. I used that method the first few times I used sosu vide. Then I read a narticle by Kenji Alt Lopez. His method of using higher temps and shorter cook times for these cuts is what I use now. 180°-188° 10-12 hours gives excellent results. Texture comes out spot on perfect.

Reactions: 73saint
Just Beautiful!!

Very nice looking pastrami! I keep seeing everyone posting long cooks with lower temps on pastrami and corned beef. I used that method the first few times I used sosu vide. Then I read a narticle by Kenji Alt Lopez. His method of using higher temps and shorter cook times for these cuts is what I use now. 180°-188° 10-12 hours gives excellent results. Texture comes out spot on perfect.

Case, have your tried the higher temp/shorter time with eye of round for pastrami? I brisket flat costs and arm and a leg around me.

Just Beautiful!!

Case, have your tried the higher temp/shorter time with eye of round for pastrami? I brisket flat costs and arm and a leg around me.

I have not. Brisket here is$2.69-$3.25 per pound eye round is $8.99 per pound not on sale. On sale it’s $5.99. I only use eye round for jerky at those prices!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky