SV chucky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
I took a page out of Bearcarver Bearcarver s book but slightly modified it. This one went in with 4 cloves of garlic, a table spoon of better than bullion beef, and a pack of onion soup mix. Stayed in a 180 degree bath for 24 hours. It was full of juice and flavor and fork tender. Probably in my top 5 roasts.

Baked a few sliced up squash and zucchini seasoned with cotija and truffle seasoning.

Attachments

• 20220601_184608.jpg
    20220601_184608.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220601_184618.jpg
    20220601_184618.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220601_184941.jpg
    20220601_184941.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 27
Looks good and I applaud what you have accomplished. It’s delicious I’m sure, but what’s the point of SV at 180F for 24 hours? I run 140F for 36-40 hours and have something very different both in texture and taste. Something you couldn’t have otherwise. I like your roast, but I could have the same thing in less than half the time in an electric roaster. I mean no offense, I’m just saying the power of SV is very low and slow cooking. Have you tried SV that way?

Reactions: JLeonard and Ringer
Looks good and I applaud what you have accomplished. It’s delicious I’m sure, but what’s the point of SV at 180F for 24 hours? I run 140F for 36-40 hours and have something very different both in texture and taste. Something you couldn’t have otherwise. I like your roast, but I could have the same thing in less than half the time in an electric roaster. I mean no offense, I’m just saying the power of SV is very low and slow cooking. Have you tried SV that way?
Thanks! No offense taken, I'm still very new to the sv game. I wanted to see if I could get something that was close to the slow cooker method but with a better taste and texture. I debated on trying a lower temp and will probably do it that way next time. It is just different from the pot roast that we are used too. Now that I've got the flavors down, I'll probably ly sear the next one and use the exact method that you described. I'm sure the family will enjoy it.

Thanks! No offense taken, I'm still very new to the sv game. I wanted to see if I could get something that was close to the slow cooker method but with a better taste and texture. I debated on trying a lower temp and will probably do it that way next time. It is just different from the pot roast that we are used too. Now that I've got the flavors down, I'll probably ly sear the next one and use the exact method that you described. I'm sure the family will enjoy it.
I appreciate that for sure. Now I’m curious. What did you like better about this cook vs. the traditional? Again it looks delicious. Just curious your thoughts because I’ve not SV’d this way, but maybe I should once in a while.

Reactions: Ringer
To be honest, going lower in temp and longer on a chuck produces more of a prime rib texture. So I am interested in your method/results for pulled meat.

I appreciate that for sure. Now I’m curious. What did you like better about this cook vs. the traditional? Again it looks delicious. Just curious your thoughts because I’ve not SV’d this way, but maybe I should once in a while.
A few benefits stood out:

1 I added zero liquid to this one and it came out perfectly juicy vs in the cooker it can dry out even when there is lots of liquid in the crock pot.

2. This is probably more of a coincidental thing but the flavor was better and more of an intense beefy flavor. In the crock pot I can't get that depth without using too much broth or bullion and thus over salting by accident. Everyone agreed it was notably more flavorful than the norm.

3. This is more of a nit picky thing with me but I really liked knowing that the roast wouldn't burn or dry out if I needed to hold it longer. In the crock pot this is cutting it close due to the types that we have. They are not very well controlled at all.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
To be honest, going lower in temp and longer on a chuck produces more of a prime rib texture. So I am interested in your method/results for pulled meat.
That is helpful info. Now I'll know what to expect and ill definitely have some creamy horseradish and au jus on standby!

Looks awesome! I haven’t ventured into the SV, but feel one coming home by fall! This was a beautiful meal you got together and it sounds delicious! Sounds like a good theory going in that paid off! Points for sure!

Thanks Jed! If you do dip your toes in the sv end of the pool, look for the annova unit. Costco will run them on sale as a kit. They are always on Amazon too. Great reviews and good units. Mine was a gift and I've enjoyed it this far. On the theory, I probably could have pulled it several hours earlier but I wanted to hold it for supper so I hust let it continue at 180.

I have only done the 2 day or longer bear method but have had nothing but compliments from it. I will definitely try your seasoning, though may stay on the longer time frame. just out of habit. I also never have leftovers from those meals. Far too many requests for "samples".

A few benefits stood out:
That chuck looks fantastic . Nice work bud .

Everything you said in post #7 is spot on . The strength of SV is the precision of the temp settings and even heating of the water . All kinds of higher heat uses and recipes .
Good to see 180 and a shorter time works for pot roast .
I normally use 164 for chuck pot roast , but will give 180 a try . I use 132 for the rib roast / steak outcome .

Better than bullion is good stuff , but I've been doing the soup mix so long that's my go to . Lipton onion mushroom or savory herb is my go to now .

Another good add to the bag is a pack of dry ranch seasoning and some salad peppers . Season like you did above , then add the ranch and peppers . I like some rosemary too .
1654172192277.jpeg

Again , nice work and good to see you got it going your way .

Not an SV'er here, but it sure looks and sounds good.

Point for sure
Chrs

Lol, I'll make sure to save some next time...teenage appetites have robbed me of more than one good meal of leftovers
Yeah I have a 14yo pit that I have given up trying to fill.
The roast looks great. Y'all are killing me with the SV cooks your posting. Got me leaning further into getting one!
Jim

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky