SV Chucky...TRULY an exercise in PATIENCE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Couldn't help myself...had to try it...and I've "only" 6.5 hours to go.

I started with this:

20221110_191130_resized[299.jpg

Local gro had chuck roasts on sale last week for $3.99lb and I couldn't pass it up.

Will let you know what I think after supper! :emoji_sunglasses:

Did one last weekend....21 hrs at 144 degrees. Was almost as good as any prime ribs I've ever had. Saved the bag juices to pour over the slices. My parents couldnt believe it was a CHUCK ROAST....LOL!
Look forward to the finish.
Jim

OK...here we go!

I ended up pulling it out of the SV at 46 hours (I was hungry...sue me!)

Chucky1.jpg

Out of the bag (not nearly as much juice as I thought there would be!)

Chucky2.jpg

Seared...and yes, my searing skills SUCK (I also forgot to dab it dry before I seared...oh well!).

Chucky3.jpg

Sliced enough for supper (not sure which way I should have sliced it...with or against the grain?)

Chucky4.jpg

Overall impressions...the taste is good, it was juicy, and it was tender (FAR more so than if I had cooked it in the oven!), but it wasn't as tender as I "thought" it would be after 46 hours (but it could be how I cut it...unsure of the grain-thing!).

I simmered the juice, strained, and made a pan sauce after the sear, but due to the onion soup mix, the salty factor was off the charts, so Jake the German Shepherd will get some goody on his kibble in the morning.

Will I do it again? Probably, but the onion soup mix sealed in with the meat under vacuum concentrated it far too much for my tastes...gonna keep it simple next time...SPOG and maybe a shake or two of Worcestershire in bag.

Now, I have no idea how this is gonna slice up for sammies tomorrow...it "could" turn out that all that concentrated onion soup mix flavor is the BOMB for that! :emoji_wink:

S

Cut across the grain always.

I do 140 for about 40 hours. Even 36 hours is fine. I don’t like the mushy texture at 48 hours. And I don’t use onion soup, just SPOG and sometimes a little thyme, that’s it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky