Survey Says?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smok'n steve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2008
Maine
Ok, Here we go again---

I have a chance to get some tanks with no holes, no paint, that are 16" in diameter, 38" long. I am thinking about fabricating 14"W * 16" L square fireboxes into them and creating a reverse flow semi-lightweight smoker, I calculate 275 pounds total. This would be a small wood smoker but maybe an OK size for smokers in general, so what do you guys think? Sound too small? What would something this small with a heavy gauge construction be worth to you if you wanted one? Consider bottom grate to be about 500 square inches and a small upper rack, maybe 200 square inches.

I am looking for advice because I want to build 6 or 8 of them or another recommended size for a challenge. The first few would be sold at costs no labor:-) Maine needs "subsidies" like this if BBQ wants to thrive here!!!!!

PS--Happy Easter--got 3 smoked Ham butts going on the smoker for double smoked ham and about 20 family coming for the egg hunt---hope I have leftovers:-)

Seems kind of small to me. The length is fine I just would like it to be a little bit deeper. Although as long as you could fit a rack of ribs in there it would be ok. I dont want to go down stairs for a tape measure so I can't really be sure. Depending on the workmanship of the welds and how thick the steel is I would say you could get $500 for people who know smokers and may be looking to upgrade to a stick burner. Also if it is only around 300lbs doesnt need to be on a trailor it could easly be lifted into the back of a truck. Might be nice to have something like this next to the lang to do birds in.

Thanks for the advice Neens,

Any other comments out there, I am getting ready to make a deal on these tanks, and I can go bigger, but then the weight and costs grows too. I figure Neens is in the Ballpark for a price after I figured my materials and supplies.

25 pounds of ham on the smoker today, looking pretty good, but my batteries for the cam are charging, maybe I can snap a few later:-)

Steve

38x16 about the same size as the charbroil. As Neens said it would depend on the construction and thickness of steel in firebox.

As far as being a "wood burner" 14x16 does sound a little small for a firebox, however, made out of say...1/4 or 1/2" steel would be nice charcoal/chip/chunk firebox for heat retention purposes IMO.

I think Neens is on the money with about $500. Brand new, my Charbroil is $180 and is 1/16 (16 GA) steel construction. I think the Chargriller is about $180 as well.

I would like one of those barrels.....yes, I have another idea for later.

Because of the smaller size and to keep it rugged but still light enough, I was planning on 3/16" steel with re-enforced door for the firebox and baffle with 1/8" for the cylinder. 15" sticks would fit in the firebox and 16" at an angle would also fit, but I was thinking that this would have a slide out charcoal grate and to operate it, just throw your sticks or chunks on top of the coals.

Any other opinions people???

Are you spying on me via sattelite in my backyard?????
icon_eek.gif
lol

If I told you, I would have to.........anyways, time for you to get a new set of t-shirts, those old blue pocket tees have had it!

I haven't finalized anything yet---One of the variables was to try to get some opinions from this forum, but I think there is a lack of interest in wood burners lately.

Its the second time I have started a thread related to this subject and there are very few replies, so it may go like this, "build it and they will come"?

The problems with the site the last few days probably haven't helped. It has kept me off of this site and on others until it clears up. It is still slower than heck.

I think you could market something like what you described, but may have to charge a bit more than 5 bills to make it worth your while. I know you are trying to promote the art of Q. It is commendable, but a brother has got to make a living, so don't short yourself If you could make one every 2 days and the materials were less than 100 bucks, then I say it wight be worth a try.

I hope you do make up a couple and post some pics. If they produce thin blue and cook well, I'm sure you will sell them all. Good luck on your experiment.

Capt Dan
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hi Dan:-)

You think the size is alright? I have some other ideas too, but my general rule is that I will try to get Heavier duty than the low ends and better heat control all without something too heavy to move and too expensive to buy.

At this point, I would be only having fun with a few builds and would expect "not" to get paid for labor, but if I am going to play, I would want to get materials and supplies covered. (Nice way to look at it with the 2 days plus $100 material=500, but...steel is expensive:-)) If I come up with a working prototype and a few people who get them like them, then, that would be the time to consider whether it could be profitable enough to move ahead. Just looking for a challenge to see if I can do it, nothing more than that now.

I think alot of people see smoking with a stick burner as a job because of the need to babysit it. one thing you could do maybe is try to work out a deal with the stoker people. see if they can give you a bulk discount if you are going to be building them as a line to sell.

Also the people who have other types of smokers may just stay off our turf.

My first homemade smoker was about that size. The diameter was sometimes a problem for me with turkeys. Couldnt get much bigger than 10-12 lb bird because of head room. I put two wheel barrel tires on one end and a handle on the other so I could roll it around. Worked fine for a backyarder but my back yarders grew to 50 people and last time I cooked in it was 3 runs about 21 straight hours.
Rick
icon_mrgreen.gif

Cool, I think I remember a pic of that somewhere:-)

I have thought about the turkey problem and have some ideas to make it work, but have to weigh out all the variables:-)

Its all fun when it comes to BBQ!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky