Surgery #3 for 2022 is this week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Many thanks for all the support and offers - I think I will stick with the professionals on this one.

As an added bonus we are expecting a snow storm all night till noon and we will need to leave mid morning.
Best of luck with the surgery, and remember you still have time to change your mind about the professionals. Safe travels also.

Chris

Good luck Dave, I hope you can find your way back on the mountains this year. Why does the surgery have to be in UT? is that where all the orthopedist you have been working with are located?
That is where my insurance covers. There are no providers on my insurance here in CO. over the course of 2022 i maxed out the out of pocket and deductible, so by going staying on my Utah ins. its free to me.

If I had changed to a CO ins. plan when we moved the deductible and out of pocket would have reset to zero spent.

So i rolled the dice a little, my CO insurance start Jan 1.

Many thanks for all the support and offers - I think I will stick with the professionals on this one.

As an added bonus we are expecting a snow storm all night till noon and we will need to leave mid morning.

My Best to you, Sandy!!
Sorry to hear they keep screwing with it.
I'm glad they left all that wire in my chest, that holds it all together these last 10 years. And They never bothered the 6" plate & 6 screws holding it in my Left Ankle, for the last 35 years.

Bear

Good luck David I hope all goes well and you heal quickly they say the third times the charm

Reactions: halleoneagain
Well, in a couple days I am having my third surgery for 2022, ought to be the last. The PITA is we moved and my insurance is in Utah, and I maxed out the deductible and out of pocket There so its financially very beneficial to have it done in UT. So I am flying back for surgery. I fear it’s gonna be a painful flight. the procedure is to remove a plate and several screws in my ankle. And I need to fly home same day. It’s a one hour flight. This will be the fourth time this incision site has been cut open so I kinda think the nerves are toast at this point - dunno.

I’ll report back after its all over.
Good Luck, Hopefully all goes well and you can heal to continue what you like doing..

Update, Surgery went well, flying home after went pretty well too. Used the Delta wheelchair service (free) for a free wheelchair ride from ticketing to gate and gate to curb. SO NICE! Feels pretty darn good this morning too. Cant go snowboarding for a while but walking and biking is a go. I appreciate all the kind words and support. Emotionally is was a touch stressful, and thankful the physical is not bad.

Here‘s my bag of spendy parts.
CD30A146-3838-44A2-97F2-FDC85242E57C.jpeg

Fabulous news, hooray, hooray, hooray! Might I suggest you stay off the snowboard for a few weeks?
Surgeon said 6-8 weeks off the board…. Not happy about that but I dont want to do this a third time either

Hang onto those parts. You may need to find out exactly what is inside you.
A couple years ago they wanted to a Cat-scan on me, but I couldn't have any more of them with dye, because my "GFR" was too low, so they wanted to do an "MRA" instead, but they didn't know what material was in my ankle. You couldn't do an MRA or an MRI, if there was Steel in my ankle.
The Dr who fixed my Leg had since retired, and the papers were gone, so they didn't know. An old secretary found some archived papers in the basement of the old Quakertown Hospital, and it showed they could do the MRA.

Bear

Hang onto those parts. You may need to find out exactly what is inside you.
A couple years ago they wanted to a Cat-scan on me, but I couldn't have any more of them with dye, because my "GFR" was too low, so they wanted to do an "MRA" instead, but they didn't know what material was in my ankle. You couldn't do an MRA or an MRI, if there was Steel in my ankle.
The Dr who fixed my Leg had since retired, and the papers were gone, so they didn't know. An old secretary found some archived papers in the basement of the old Quakertown Hospital, and it showed they could do the MRA.

Bear
I hear ya! I dont have any imaging from the first implant in and out procedure, but I did get a fluoroscope (i think thats what is is) image from the OR showing no metal which is reassuring. I have read of screws breaking on removal and such too. both times I asked for all the parts to take home. I mean I paid for them. Now I have two bags of them… Wonder how many I will end up with in all the years to come?

I hear ya! I dont have any imaging from the first implant in and out procedure, but I did get a fluoroscope (i think thats what is is) image from the OR showing no metal which is reassuring. I have read of screws breaking on removal and such too. both times I asked for all the parts to take home. I mean I paid for them. Now I have two bags of them… Wonder how many I will end up with in all the years to come?
Man thats some high dollar stuff in them bags. My oldest son works for a company that produces those parts. Amazing what they charge for them.
Glad all went well and hopefully healing will be quick and non-eventful
Jim

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky