Suppliers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondo

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Terrell, TX
Hello all.

I am looking for a supplier for the high temp cheddar cheese. I searched the web and find crazy variations in price. Where do you guys get your high temp cheese? I am guessing that many of you have come to a point where you buy from the same place because you get value for the cash.

Please advise of the best bang for the buck you know of. I don't have the cash to spend more than I have to. I'm stuck on disabled veteran income, which is not much.

I appreciate any help you can give.

I am located in Bowie, TX Northwest of Dallas/Ft. Worth. If anyone is close let me know, maybe we can get together and eat something.

Bob

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Butcher and Packer have the best price that I’ve seen, but I don’t buy HT cheese anymore, I buy sharp or extra sharp cheese instead, it’s dryer the sharper it is and as long as you don’t cremate the sausage when cooking the sharp cheese works just fine for me and is considerably cheaper.

Reactions: DougE
Thanks for the reply. My plan is snack sticks which need to get to 158* to 160* I believe so not that hot. If sharp cheese works, I'll give it a try. I was thinking of 1/4" cubes, is that what you cut them?

Again, thanks for the reply and info.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
FE8790E2-ED84-4C9F-B38D-6F8935B6C8B0.jpeg

This is what I use. Add it as is.

I have also stopped using/buying HT cheese and just using store bought... I like mine a lil bigger than 1/4" cubes... The inside dimension of your stuffing tube is also gonna help determine maximum cube size ...

I think it was Duncan Henry who said on his youtube channel that the cheapest grocery store cheese you can get will work fine in place of high temp cheese in sausage making, since it doesn't tend to melt out like high end cheeses.

I'm pretty sure it was Duncan, but it could have been Eric at two guys and a cooler who said it.

Reactions: slavikborisov
I think it was Duncan Henry who said on his youtube channel that the cheapest grocery store cheese you can get will work fine in place of high temp cheese in sausage making, since it doesn't tend to melt out like high end cheeses.

I'm pretty sure it was Duncan, but it could have been Eric at two guys and a cooler who said it.
I’m not going to quote anybody because I can’t remember the source, but one said to use American processed cheese ( read velveeta) because it won’t grease out and make a mess. I tried that cheese and preferred the dry Tillamook cheese.

I’ve had really good luck at my local grocery store. It’s always in the back so you have to specifically ask for it. Cost is about $5.29/lb and they had cheddar, Swiss, and pepper Jack. Try to find a grocery store that makes their own sausage and bratwurst and they should have high temp cheese.

I use regular cheese.

Dont get your stix that hot.
152-54 is good enough.

Dice your cheese into finished size... place in an open container in the refer, in a single layer, and let it dehydrate until it loses about 5-10% weight... Then it won't melt...

You can also pasteurize the sausage...

As an example, get the internal temp to 140F and hold it there for 9 minutes or longer... It will be totally cooked and safe to eat because all the bacteria will be killed... I choose a longer time just to be safe.. The sausage will be moist and the cheese will not melt...
I use pasteurization techniques all the time... I'm too old to get food poisoning... Well, in fact, I'm too old for a lot of stuff....

2015-12-20 NON INTACT pasteurization table 001.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky