Super simple (and cheap) charcoal basket for Highland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
I was looking to get a basket for my ok joe Highland but wasn’t wanting to spend over $50 on one. I picked up a 12”x24” piece of expanded steel from Lowe’s for $11 and bent the sides up around the existing charcoal grate. Then I put the grate in the box with the “basket” on top, it fits the firebox perfectly and has about 5” walls on each end to keep your coals from escaping through the firebox door. I’ll post a pic when I get home this afternoon.

Reactions: 316sports
I wanted a bigger piece but I don’t have a Home Depot near my town, all Lowe’s had was the 12x24. I thought I’d have to go back and get another piece but it ended up working, a happy accident, haha.

Did a practice burn in it last night, I loved being able to dump the coals in without having to chase them with my tongs afterward.

Attachments

• FD0750FC-AAC4-419A-A9D9-4AE8F5A8EF2B.jpeg
    FD0750FC-AAC4-419A-A9D9-4AE8F5A8EF2B.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 20
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky